Building a pond for diver habitat...

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by BuffleheadKing2, Jan 7, 2017.

1. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

I've been looking around and I've seen where planting certain types of vegetation can help attract divers, but this seems like a bonus more than the intent. Has anyone on here ever managed or constructed a pond/impoundment specifically to attract divers??? What's your thoughts on the generic stuff size, depth bottom material fish/aquatic vegetation to put in and so on???

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

With divers they are going to come in or not. We have an 80 acre WRP project one-half mile off the Mississippi. Every year we get 20 or 30 divers. The only decoys we use are 7 drake Goldeneye. We don't make much effort to try to attract them.

3. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Ditto on what WHUP said.

But if I had to choose a vegetation, I would choose Sago Pondweed if the impoundment would stay wet year round, or chufa if it would dry out. The reason being is both of these plants are highly attractive to divers, but as WHUP said, these species of birds is going to come in or they won't-plain and simple. The bonus with these plants is that they are also highly attractive to puddlers as well.

Hope this helps.

Clayton and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  4. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

If you have a pond you can drain and you are in an area canvasbacks frequent then they love yellow nut sedge aka chufa. To get a good crop you will need to treat it as such and fertilize and spray it.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

look into coontail if water level stays consistent

6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Up here in northern Minnie, we have thousands of lakes & 1009 in my county.
    During the last 4 decades, I've taken sago I've bought from Wildlife nurseries in Wisconsin, & planted it in areas of shallow bays. I've also done some wild celery that the canvasbacks just love. It's nice to see these nice beds of high quality diver feed, late in the summer as the growing season winds down & before the birds start their flights. Even more fun to see birds in these beds enjoying the good feed. Well worth the costs & effort.

Ringbill

Fowler267 likes this.