Building an A frame ideas.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

I have seen some DIY A frame ideas on line and one on here and they look pretty simple.I was thinking i would make one out of 1" square aluminum since i have access to a mig and aluminum wire spool gun..
    I have more of a question as to what to use for cover in the field s we hunt which are always low and no cover. It could be green pasture one weekend or another time it could be a cut grain field and we almost never have the luxury of having a hedge row or ditch of any kind.

Pretty much wide open.

Thanks in advance for any help via pics of frames or camo ideas you could give a guy.
    Terry

2. GRIZZ08

GRIZZ08 New Member

we built 2 of these last year and they worked great...I always thought we didn't have any cover to hide an Aframe either until I started to use one then we found how small of and area of grass on a fence or a wet spot in a field or even center pivots work to hide these blinds....we even put the 2 together and make our own weed patch in a field....we don't get a lot of the 15 yard shots like we used to but we can get 20-35 yard shots all day long so we just have to make a choke tube change and adjust the lead on target a little and we shoot the same as we did(which still isn't that great)....we use prairie cord grass to cover the blind which is strong as nails and wont get brittle add some stubble straps to add some additional cover and you should be good to go

Attached Files:

shirtguy likes this.
  3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I love a frames. I have used them in the middle of open green wheat fields and have found as long as they are big enough and built on the right angle birds finish just fine. No wrong way to do it

4. Easterncanadafowler

Ok, guys.I like what I am hearing.I am thinking for the prototype is a two man that is 6' long .The side panels that are 54" high so when the bottom is angled out an thus lowering the top i get about 48" high over all .Grass protruding up over that should be just about right for me since i am 6-5" tall and my torso is long as well as my legs...
    I don't seem to see many fields around with grass like grizz is using so we would most likely have to use real grass or reeds and let it dry and than add what we can from the field we are hunting in which could be pasture, grain or potatoes .

I see these blinds in pitures and they look good for where they hunt but our veg is a lot different and we only have a few geese in the area and everyone is after the same ones.
    I will use 1x1" aluminum tubing since i can get it welded for free.Probably use chicken wire on the panels.

5. Easterncanadafowler

Do your doors swing or do you just move them out of the way when you need to ?

6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

We normally brush ours with switch grass or evergreens. Ours are 4x8 and side sections are 4' at bottom tapered towards the top with hinged doors. Even added a 2x12 with angled blocks on a couple that we brush to further conceal. The more of a taper at the top and taller brush tends to hide ya more. Since we use ripped pressure treated 2x4's We normally put screws in about every 8 inches on the outside leaving some of the screw to stick out and then put switch grass or evergreens and attach with tie wire. I have been adding screw in eyelets and stretching 3/16 tan camo bungee cord to allow for a quick way to add more brush or grass quickly.. We do a lot of run and gun moving the blinds around with atv's and carts at times. After having a couple blow around in heavy storms we secure ours now with Lshape rebar

Attached Files:

7. Easterncanadafowler

I don't think we have switch grass but i am checking into it.

With your 48" door bottoms what does that allow you for an opening to stand and shoot and what do you guys sit on ??

I am tall and think if i used 54"H x 60" long side panels my overall high of around 48"to the top and then let the grass come up over that.I think we will be able to stay mostly hid and also watch the birds reaction to the calls and have them still not see us.I am thinkin side panes first and then get the angles figured out once the panels are eyballed for height and angle.I doubt it would be too high to scare the birds but i would it be a bit harder to look out.I know lower is better but i figure a bit taller and longer would not be a deal breaker.I would like to use those cheap director style chairs. for comfort and decently lo profile or folding camping chairs.Thanks. terry

8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

We normally sit on. Gallon buckets with a spin top foam seat. A think we have gone from a real narrow top opening to something like 28". I believe I have a door template at home and will see and get back to you. All of the blinds are in a box trailer at farm and will be deployed later.

We find 4' sides are fine with the tall switch grass. If you feel 54" is better with your height thI would build to that as long as you don't hunt with anyone else who is short then you will need a rectangle mile crate or something else to elevate. I made up a bunch of solo shooting step ups made 24" long out of 6x6's and compositie boards for my kids and others who are short as the mild crates can become brittle and break which can be dangerous.

added pic of a finished one before brushing and a pic of one inside. We fasten with 4 screws on each end one on top of each side and one on bottom of both sides to 4x8 sections and can dissamble or assemble for moving, storage and setup real quickly. We overlapped the plywood on sides 1 1/2 to but up against the 2x2 section of 4x8 panel.

Attached Files:

9. Easterncanadafowler

These pics at really helpful. I will probably have to go something that I can take apart after the hunt because we coulc not leave it there and it would need to get packed into the trailer. You have given me an idea for one spot we could leave it so I may build one like yours too only 10' long to accommodate 4 men. Keep the ideas coming everyone please

10. GRIZZ08

GRIZZ08 New Member

our doors swing open and our sides are 48" panels and are angled so they are probably a little shorter than 48" I am 6'6" tall and I sit on a bucket and am hidden just fine with the taller grass we use the sides don't have to be that tall and the grass stands up over my head in some places

Attached Files: