Building an A frame ideas.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 18, 2017.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I wanted a semi-permanent blind on a nearby pond......in the middle of a corn field. The blind
    was patterned after my dug-out style blind on my duck boat. This one is built from 3/4" EMT.
    It folds up and fits in my van for transport and I can carry it in. I'm am 77 years old so it needs
    to be portable. However, a lighter, aluminum version will be built for using up in the field after
    the crop is out.

Two could hunt out of this, but it would be tight.....any wider and it would not fit into my
    van. These photos were before the front two mental stakes had been installed. The final
    version will have a "jacket" of Cordura for a wind/rain break, plastic snow fence (middle
    layer) and "Quack Grass" panels fastened on top. The field version may not have all three,
    but it will fit into my boat for use as a temporary shore blind on the Mississippi River. .

note: The swing out, "shooting panel" can be adjusted to two different "windows" After
    pushing/swinging the panel forward, by simply stepping slightly forward (when standing
    up) shooting is 360° (for one person). My dog will have a "hole" in front to "look and
    work" out of. (She is not very big.)

The "Kwick Blind"proto-type
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pounce - early Illinois goose (this year)
    [​IMG]

2. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

That grass looks awesome.Would you know where i can get some of that or similar that is artificial ?

3. GRIZZ08

GRIZZ08 New Member

prairie cord grass is native to basically all of north America so I would think you could find it in your area....we cut it out of the road ditch...it likes wet feet so find some ditches or areas with some standing water and you should be able to find some I know on my last trip on Ontario this summer it was all over the place up there on the edges of wet spots along the road side

4. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

I was thinking that might be the grass you were talking about. I have seen it in Quebec and Ontario and though about how easy it would be to hide in while hunting.. however we don't have that in Newbrunswick

5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Cattle panels work well. Just need to carry a few narrow u channel fence posts to drive in to support wire. I actually cut mine in middle of panel and attached 1x4 on either side of cut and hinged. Allows it to be hunted as an 8' long blind or 16' long blind which is what were using. I angle panels to be 5' at bottom narrowing to 30" at top. Covered with fast grass with bundles of switch grass over that you become invisable to birds but can stand up and shoot thru bundles of grass. Built my ends from 2x4 frameing with doors on each end made from schedule 40 conduit. Lightened it up that way. Raise bottom of door up about 6" from bottom to keep it from dragging when open/closed. Secure door with a short bungee w/ s hook to blind frame inside.Bundles of switch grass can be secured to wire frame with bungees also. I think those panels are 54" tall so angles give you about 48" tall side wall.

6. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

For blind material I leave a mix of corn and grass. Works anywhere even water.

7. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

I like your dimensions. Got any pics?

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Sorry, no pics till its put up in oct. Tried a 4' bottom on a different one and didn,t care for it. 5' gives dog and people room to move freely and adds enough angle to get drape coverage of shoot hole. We just use dove stools for seating because its on a small island in impound and need to be able to shoot front or rear depending on stool direction of birds.