Building an A frame ideas.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 18, 2017.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Here are a couple before and after pics of the a frames we use. Slowly moving away from securing grass to blind with 1 1/2" screws and tie wire to eyelets and stretch cord for faster brushing and patching if needed. We have been adding a 2x12 to most of are aframes minimize the overhead opening but really don't need it if we can get tall switch grass.

these may get some action this upcoming weekend with the youth hunt scheduled depending on where the birds are.

Attached Files:

2. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

Thanks for the pictures fowlwacker. I am going to make an A frome for next year.Things are slowing down for this year around here and ive been doing ducks on the water lately where you need to be portable.
    I will try the A frame during early season goose in 18 and if it works try it in the regular.They sure stand out but if they work then they work.It would be nice to stand and shoot and shoot behind us.

3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

A frames only stand out to humans because we have good depth perception do it right with a steep angle and birds finish awesome gave up on layouts for most hunts. I have used grassed A frame in green winter wheat and no issue finishing birds all about the angle of the blind walls. I have also found the bigger the better I figure in the birds mind its just a spot in the field that wasn't able to be worked up.

4. Easterncanadafowler

Thanks guys it's sounding Encouraging .I will try one for next season and be back on here picking your brains again.I was figuring small footprint less to see but what a couple of you guys say about bigger does make sense to me.My plan is to go with 3/4 or 1" aluminum round tubing and make them like the tangle free panel blind where the angle is dictated by how much you open or swing out the ends .I think that is a good idea.Im now thinking about 10' for three hunters most of the time and sometimes a 4th.

5. Easterncanadafowler

this might seem like a stupid question but here goes.Ya know when a small flock comes in and you get 4 or 5 and the other couple fly away and then realize the other geese aren't coming(I think they think they landed)then you cover pack up and call and many time the others will come back.Do you find that using the a frames or do you think when you stand right up and shoot then the ones you miss just keep going..I think if we were standing there will be less leaving but wanted to ask...Thanks