Building an A frame ideas.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 18, 2017.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Here are a couple before and after pics of the a frames we use. Slowly moving away from securing grass to blind with 1 1/2" screws and tie wire to eyelets and stretch cord for faster brushing and patching if needed. We have been adding a 2x12 to most of are aframes minimize the overhead opening but really don't need it if we can get tall switch grass.

these may get some action this upcoming weekend with the youth hunt scheduled depending on where the birds are.

Attached Files:

2. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the pictures fowlwacker. I am going to make an A frome for next year.Things are slowing down for this year around here and ive been doing ducks on the water lately where you need to be portable.
    I will try the A frame during early season goose in 18 and if it works try it in the regular.They sure stand out but if they work then they work.It would be nice to stand and shoot and shoot behind us.

3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

A frames only stand out to humans because we have good depth perception do it right with a steep angle and birds finish awesome gave up on layouts for most hunts. I have used grassed A frame in green winter wheat and no issue finishing birds all about the angle of the blind walls. I have also found the bigger the better I figure in the birds mind its just a spot in the field that wasn't able to be worked up.

4. Easterncanadafowler

Thanks guys it's sounding Encouraging .I will try one for next season and be back on here picking your brains again.I was figuring small footprint less to see but what a couple of you guys say about bigger does make sense to me.My plan is to go with 3/4 or 1" aluminum round tubing and make them like the tangle free panel blind where the angle is dictated by how much you open or swing out the ends .I think that is a good idea.Im now thinking about 10' for three hunters most of the time and sometimes a 4th.

5. Easterncanadafowler

this might seem like a stupid question but here goes.Ya know when a small flock comes in and you get 4 or 5 and the other couple fly away and then realize the other geese aren't coming(I think they think they landed)then you cover pack up and call and many time the others will come back.Do you find that using the a frames or do you think when you stand right up and shoot then the ones you miss just keep going..I think if we were standing there will be less leaving but wanted to ask...Thanks

6. gary s.

gary s. Elite Refuge Member

have you seen anyone use the avian x A frame blind? wounder if it was too square? in photos of avian x-A frame blind. angles are square not steep at all. might be just the way i see it i photos and videos. do you or anyone here on the forum have any thought on this?

7. Easterncanadafowler

You guys that grass you A frames in. What was the type of grass you use and what would you think about getting some seed and trying to grow in for use each year.I have a wet area behind mu house and was thinking to try and grow some to have each year ?

8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

we use native switch grass that tends to grow around drainage ditches here in Maryland and Delaware. since we typically deploy many of the aframe on transitional areas next to agricultural fields and CRP the seeds from the blinds typically fall off around the blinds and pits and germinate each year. I believe some folks have started their own grass from bluestem seeds and other similar varieties. just google native switch grass seed and you will see a bunch available. my buddy disked up close to an acre several years ago and planted two varieties. the grass has done okay but lacks the water it needs naturally and the grass planted isn't as high as the native switch grass we find around the farm.

9. Easterncanadafowler

Ok,I will get some in the spring and try it. It is plenty wet where i want to plant it so that wont be a problem.More likely my issue will be the cool summer and short growing season..Thanks

10. Easterncanadafowler

Ok, Guys just thinking about my A frame construction again and wanted to run a few things by you.I was thinking that I will be using aluminum 1" square tubing or round aluminum 1" tubing.It is not too expensive and i want something sturdy and to last.I was thinking about making the sides around 54" tall and around 28" on the top more or less and let the angles dictate the over all height.I would like rounded corners and was thinking that this might be easier with round stock as opposed to square.

I was thinking and will try and explain this ....Why could a person not make it say 12" long but have it come apart in the middle so that when it is transported you basically pull a pin front and back top and bottom, put one side with the closed in end into the trailer first and then slide the other half into the trailer, open end first placing one side in the center of one half and one side to the left or right of an outside wall..It is hard to explain.

In other words if you were taking it apart and compacting it on the ground , pull it apart on the ground move it left or right 6" and push it back together .Taking up half the room and still be able to puts stuff inside of it.

I'm still trying to find switchgrass or see if i can bring some back from the usa when i am down there however it would be dead and brown when it comes time to use it.I was thinking we could always add green grass or stubble when we are hunting pasture or grain and when possible get close to the tree line instead of out in the middle in layout blinds.I would forfeit a few shots per trip if we could actually see the birds and stand and shoot and not be laying in the field in a layout blind. I'm hoping the a frame will at least work on a few hunts.however most of the fields seem to be pretty open.