Building an A frame ideas.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 18, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

We’re running A frames this year for every field hunt. We try to be next to field roads, ditches, waterways, etc if possible but we have also come off these areas up to 50 yards or more and did well. Like others have said, looks like a spot that wasn’t worked by the farmer. Besides being more comfortable, our shooting has been much better. We’re cutting more out of each flock and rarely a cripple.

2. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

Great to hear.im trying to remember now where the raods in the fileds were and if they had hedge rows etc...LOL...I know for sure if we had have had a chance to turn and shoot on some flocks or be able to see to call and not just listen sometimes. we would have got a few more.The geese we hunt are locals that get shot everywhere they go so I'm hoping the a frame will be something different for them and that we hunters can sit on buckets or chairs and chat and look and have a beverage or snack without laying on our back in the field.We can be in layout blinds for 3-4 hrs and that gets old quick.Im going for it what the heck.

3. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

That looks great! is that just chicken wire?

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

1/2 " x 4' wire is what we use. You could use chicken wire or any other metal or plastic fencing for support. We like it for leaning our guns on as barrels don't get hung up like they may with chicken wire. I have used ezfab plastic fence for a portable blind I made with 3/4" EMT that I used to take out on boat for marsh hunting occasionally. Made 2 12' sections with 3/4" EMT every 4' connected to 4' plastic fence. Tied fastgrass Matt's and wove stretch bungee across top and middle and also put natural switch grass on. Left bottom EMT extend 10" and flattened out for pushing in marsh. You could roll and unroll the 2 12' sections quickly and essentially make an 8' a frame by making 2 L shaped sections out of each 12' section or just stretch out to a full 12' section if you had good cover from behind.

5. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Too expensive and every time something scratches the paint off you have a shine source.

6. Easterncanadafowler

We can get the aluminum for free and most of it would be covered anyway and we might even be able to get the aluminum powdercoated a kaki or green whateve we needed for free also.My buddy has a connection to the aluminum and powdercoating oven.

7. fowlwhacker

Someone posted up on Craigslist recently offering to make various custom width and length a frames out of aluminum. Pretty expensive though.

8. Easterncanadafowler

I know a guy who use to have a business making wands for pressure cleaners for cleanining eaves and he has som tubing we can have or get cheap.I put a plan to paper and thing it will work.Picture this if you will ...the top is 10' long and the corners are bent at 90 with a pip bender and it is about 28" wide.
    the bottom is the same shape but say 14' long and 60" and these two get connected from top to bottom in the corners and along the front and on each side of the middle so when you take it apart in the front and back along the long side it does not collapse.stick one half inside the other and you would take up a lot less room.We will have to play with sizes and angles but my goal is to have as squat as possible , no sharp angles and atleast one door probably at the end the young guys sit...lol..I'll keep you posted.
    If I am able to get some grass and bring some home while travelling during the summer do you guys think it would be to dead and brown by fall.I cannot find that tall grass anywhere around me.I sure wish I could.I might be able to load up on it the second week of October if they will let me bring it from the usa to Canada but they are very particular at the border about bring in any plants or agriculture..I figure that out.

9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Refuge Member

Great design I'm going to build some like you did.

I'm trying to decide on size . I hunt solo a bit but we often hunt up to four people.

How many peiope are you hunting out of your 8' blinds?

10. fowlwhacker

3 grown men usually but have squeezed 4. We kept our blinds at 8' to move them around the farm in the utility trailers we have. Sometimes we move them brushed and other times we dismantle the 4 sides. I have gone to stretch cord to hold the grass now versus tire wire so undoing the corners is easy to rebrush when taking down and setting back up.

I think 10 or 12' would be better for 4 people.

We have a bunch and put to or 3 together at times. I would make some L shaped rear and stake down the blind if you are going to leave out so heavy winds don't blow it in an open field. We have had a couple blow like tumbleweeds fully brushed so we try to stake them all.

MJ1657 likes this.