Building myself a new ride... (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by NCSUDucker, Aug 9, 2017.

1. NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Well after finishing up a NFZ for a customer and I having some time on my hands, I finally decided to replace my original NFZ so I could incorporate some new ideas.

The new NFZ is 19'7" long. Built entirely out of okoume/meranti and ash. I increased the lower side height and laminated 4 sheets of 1/4" ply to make the lower sides 1" thick. I'll be powering with a new Mud Buddy HDR 4400 EFI for a tall transom. The bottom is 1" thick and will be sheathed with a layer of 5 oz kevlar between 2 layers of 6 oz glass before coating with cabosil/graphite thickened epoxy and the keel strips will be UHMW as they have in the past. Final weight will be around 750 to 800 lbs, with the orignal NFZ weighing in a 660 lbs. Not a bad increase in weight for the trade off.

After 3 weeks of work, I have about a week of work left. This is how she began.
    [​IMG]

After a couple of days, she was starting to take shape.
    [​IMG]

In each of the seats and the rear compartment, I glassed a half round of PVC to divert water through to the bilge and keep the compartments dry.
    [​IMG]

After it cured I sprayed liner in the seats so that I could put the tops on before spraying liner on the interior.
    [​IMG]

At this point, I sprayed paint to down to where the liner would go so that I would have crisp lines.
    [​IMG]

Cont.

2. NCSUDucker

The rub rails are 3 pieces of ash to form the shape.
    [​IMG]

Here's what she looked like after the liner was sprayed in.
    [​IMG]

Take a look at the video to check out the sound system, especially the lighted speakers :lol3: I have interior LED lights but the speakers will add a little light to the ****pit floor. I like the little stereo. There are four 6" speakers, 500 watt marine amp and powered subwoofer.
    https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagra...160_160755667824904_4368888665326223360_n.mp4

Here's the control panel. There is a circuit breaker 6 switch lighted panel that controls the radio, interior LEDs, light bar, fuel gauge, bilge and running lights. There is also a 12v aux outlet, USB charging port and voltmeter on the panel. In addition, the stereo with aux input, fuel gauge and second bilge switch that has auto/manual. There are 3 compartments, the one with the cover is dry while the one beside it is semi dry while the bottom is a place to throw things you don't want rolling around in the boat but don't mind getting wet.
    [​IMG]

I installed a 3500 lb Superwinch in a small front compartment. I used the factory fairlead on the winch and sandwiched two aluminum fairleads with a piece of rubber to minimize water entry on the bow. I put the wired handheld remote receptacle in the compartment and the wired panel switch in panel opposite the control panel (further down).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cont.

3. NCSUDucker

The rub rails are 3 pieces of ash to form the shape.
    [​IMG]

Here's what she looked like after the liner was sprayed in.
    [​IMG]

Take a look at the video to check out the sound system, especially the lighted speakers :lol3: I have interior LED lights but the speakers will add a little light to the ****pit floor. I like the little stereo. There are four 6" speakers, 500 watt marine amp and powered subwoofer.
    https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagra...160_160755667824904_4368888665326223360_n.mp4

Here's the control panel. There is a circuit breaker 6 switch lighted panel that controls the radio, interior LEDs, light bar, fuel gauge, bilge and running lights. There is also a 12v aux outlet, USB charging port and voltmeter on the panel. In addition, the stereo with aux input, fuel gauge and second bilge switch that has auto/manual. There are 3 compartments, the one with the cover is dry while the one beside it is semi dry while the bottom is a place to throw things you don't want rolling around in the boat but don't mind getting wet.
    [​IMG]

I installed a 3500 lb Superwinch in a small front compartment. I used the factory fairlead on the winch and sandwiched two aluminum fairleads with a piece of rubber to minimize water entry on the bow. I put the wired handheld remote receptacle in the compartment and the wired panel switch in panel opposite the control panel (further down).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cont.

4. NCSUDucker

Lot of wires to be ran, but all marine tinned wire with waterproof heat shrink connectors.
    [​IMG]

Fuse panel is easy to access.
    [​IMG]

Here's the other "panel". It was kind of an afterthought. I have always used a trolling motor twist lock receptacle/plug with my spotlight so it wouldn't pull out at the worst time. Problem was I always ended up leaving the light on the floor in muck and water. In addition to this I also needed a place to mount the amp controls and rocker switch for the winch. Since I was doing this I also installed an additional 12v aux outlet.
    [​IMG]

The bilge compartment houses the two bilges, one on manual and one on auto/manual, fuel water separator and will house the fuel pump and rev limiter for the motor.
    [​IMG]

Once all of the wiring was done, the sides were put on and sectioned compartments/hunt deck were filled with foam.
    [​IMG]

Cont.

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. NCSUDucker

I really like the way the transom turned out. 20" transom that is braced and tied into the rear bulkhead. You can hang a lot weight on her with no issues.
    [​IMG]

Coaming on. Some pretty 1.5" thick ash.
    [​IMG]

Kind of back in time, but here is the winch compartment and fuel tank compartment. I put a drain in the winch compartment as we know there is no truly waterproof hatch and there will probably be a limited amount of water that comes in through the winch opening. I routed the drain via 3/4" bilge hose into the ****pit.
    [​IMG]

Here's what the front looks like before I flushed the decking up. The light bar is now recessed in the opening and will have a semi permanent cover in case I every need to replace or repair. The other opening is where the fuel tank is and will also have a semi permanent cover in case the fuel tank ever needs to be accessed.
    [​IMG]

Everything on the top side glassed. Now working on fairing an finish for the top side before installing the grass rails on the front deck and sides. Once they are on, I'll spray liner on the decks and then flip to finish the bottom! Won't be long till the season here!
    [​IMG]

Brad

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Outstanding work Brad !:clap:clap:clap

NCSUDucker likes this.
  7. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

All I can say is WOW! That is amazing work you're doing

NCSUDucker likes this.
  8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Very nice!

Question about the foam flotation; is it really needed in a boat such as this? I'm not suggesting you not use it, I'm just curious. Me and some buddies sank an old fiberglass trihull years ago for fishing structure, and it was a nightmare to do so. We assumed we'd drill some holes and once filled up she'd drop to the bottom, but no such luck-- that sucker floated right at the top until we dropped a crap ton of cinderblocks in it. Granted it had no motor/batteries/etc in it but it also had no foam(we cut it all out), but still it was a lot of work to get that thing to sink.

Sprig Hunter likes this.
  9. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Dam, that is very cool. Lotta work.

10. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

NCSUDucker likes this.