Building the duck barge

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by sheboyganjohn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

New to the forum so I did not have a chance to chronicle the build when I did it last year so I will slowly build the thread as I have time.

Background. As I am getting older, using my 14' aluminum boat was doing no favors to my back trying to sit in it while hunting. I looked around and found the Go Devil duck barge. I liked the idea of having a old school blind built into a boat hull that you could drive around. Then I saw the price, and thought I can build it for 1/4 of that. I have built a number of boats in the past, so why not another one. The only difference is this will be my first build where I did all the design work.
    I was in the middle of restoring a 1973 24' Sea Ray so I put off the start of the build until I knew I had to start it to have it ready for the season. Gave myself a little over a month and a half to get a finished floating boat. To me interior, some of the wiring, and camo come with time as you hunt it and se what you need. Ended up taking a little over 2 months due to adding an integral motor bracket.
    I also put a bunch of videos on Youtube. I will put them in posts (if you can even do that here) as they become relevant in the time line. Or you can look up sheboyganjohn on youtube if you want to watch them all.

Here is the first float test after the build. A lot more painting and camo work followed, but the structure is complete.
    IMG_1416.JPG

2. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

I will post up the first two videos. First one give a tour of the storage unit with the materials I will be using along with a glimpse of the pacific power dory I built. Second video is a tour of the shop with an overview of the plans.

3. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

In this video I show how I notched out the frame members for assembly.

4. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

This video shows the transom being built. Ended up having to modify it once I got it on the boat since I went with a motor pod / bracket instead. Also shows the bow build briefly.

5. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

And the last one for now shows the full assembly of the frame members along with the assembly jig I built for it. The jig works because all the frame members are the same.

6. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

In this video I show the building of the strong back. This is the structure that the boat is built on, upside down. All the frame members are attached to it so it needs to be straight and true. However this is s temporary structure so it does not need to be built out of high dollar lumber. I actually used a lot of scrap plywood in this one.

7. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

In this video I put all the frame members onto the strong back. From here on out it starts to look like a boat, an upside-down boat, but a boat none the less.

8. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

Getting all the plywood for the hull cut and dry fitted. Also sanding a radius on all the edges.

9. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn New Member

Getting all the plywood for the outer hull glued and screwed.

10. Mike Schramm

Mike Schramm New Member