Building the duck barge

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by sheboyganjohn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Refuge Member

The deck is done so now it is time to work on the blind assembly.

2. sheboyganjohn

Now lets glass it all together.

3. sheboyganjohn

In the home run on the build now. Going over some of the final details in the last few videos.

4. sheboyganjohn

Last but not least is the blind work. The first video evertyhing looks great, until I take it down the freeway a few times and find the the plant I used will shed leaves like mad. Second video is the current work I am doing on the blind. It has not been hunted yet but I refuse to duck hunt in 70 deg weather mid October in Wisconsin. I will get plenty of hunting time next month.

jthomp01 likes this.
  5. sheboyganjohn

Well back to the shop. Had it out hunting on Sunday, finally. While bringing it back on the trailer the boat rode up on one wheel well. No problem got it back off and centered after some screwing around. The ramp was not level sloping to one side. Anyhow, winched the boat up on the trailer and took it home. Next day went to take it back to the storage unit and noticed something stuck to the side of the boat in a long line. When I was up on the wheel well I knocked off the carpet panel from the inside of the wheel well. The wood was rotted and came off the screws holding it on. So when I winched it up, leaning to that side, I dug a screw head into the side of the hull and scratched the glass for about 4' and then started gouging out glass and wood for another 6'. The boat repair will not be too bad, except for a cold front is coming through with highs in the low 50's. Epoxy, even with medium cure, does not work real well. Going to give it a shot tomorrow and see if it will be dry by the weekend. Also need to remake the inner wheel well pad. Trick is going to be replacing it with the boat on the trailer. May not be doing any hunting this weekend, but at least I am not to my hunting vacation yet. Hopefully I will get all the gremlins shook out before then.