Bumping Geese out of a field?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by brentbullets, Dec 26, 2016.

1. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

OK, got a call from landowner last night shortly after LST who said he accidently bumped about 500 geese out of his field by driving down the fence row chasing raccoons. He didn't fire a shot, he called to let me know they are using his field. I have never bumped geese this way and was wondering how long before they would come back? It is over an hour drive one way and I am not going to hunt it today but will probably drive up later today and check things out after family leaves, it is one of only couple of corn fields in the area. I have never bumped geese this way and was wondering how long before they would come back?

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

We have lots of specks and snows sitting around our club in dry fields, we will jump them driving in and out. Usually they get up and circle and start to settle back down even though lots of other choices. If one of the few fields of corn probably not a big deal especially if cold and they want the corn.

3. Boo

Boo Refuge Member

I agree with birdman we have had to bump birds the last couple of week because they are flying all day long here in pa. But they will come back to the same field later that day if the feed is there. We had birds on Sat come in and land in the field next to the one we set up in because we new the wind was going to switch we left the dog go chase them out of the field and we managed to get 13 when the wind did switch.

4. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Kill em.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I've pushed them off a field in a similar manner in the evening, just be slowing the vehicle too much when driving by. The birds left and went to the roost early, but I knew they would be back in the morning....and hungry. Decoyed straight in the next am with no problems. I think as long as you are "gentle", they will tend to come back to the identical field.

Keith McGowan likes this.
  6. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Honkers, you'll be fine if they've been in there awhile. Lessers are cranky little turds an that could move them, but with that being one of the only corn fields around, I think you'll be ok. Also depends on how much food is in there.

7. brentbullets

Well watched the field until about 4:20 and watched 5 different groups go in. Setting up tomorrow afternoon about 1:30 as its supposed to be about 15 degrees warmer and have a couple extra shooters lined up. Hopefully with the warmer temps they still want THAT corn field.

8. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Hopefully it doesn't delay their coming out til right at the end of legal

9. brentbullets

Well, it didn't work out geese went north.

10. Boo

Boo Refuge Member

I no your pain man that is the way our season has been going to. But a bad day of hunting is better then any day at work.