Bunk glides

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by gadwall52, Mar 8, 2017.

1. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

What are some alternatives to store bought bunk glides? No sprays

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

synthetic decking

BigBand likes this.
  3. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

Get the 4x4 white pvc fence post from HD
    Rip them in half and attach w stainless screws
    Works great!!

BobGlover and dw1 like this.
  4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Both answers above will work just dandy. I'm replacing my skiff trailer bunks with syn. deck board/ripped 4x4 treated post combo. Hunting partner has same boat and has already done something similarly with his. Solid.....and slick!

5. umahunter

umahunter Elite Refuge Member

Before I did my boat with steelflex I went to a used restaurant supply and got some old restaurant 3/4 cutting boards split them in half and attached them with countersunk ss screws worked pretty well 100_0910.jpg 100_0912.jpg 100_0911.jpg

tcc likes this.
  6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have the glide sliks from Cabelas that were well worn... I was going to remove them after adding Steelflex to my boat but I ground them smooth and sprayed a little silicone spray on them.

The glide slik/Steelflex combo is nice and easy to load but requires tie downs front and back!

7. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

The synthetic boards were too much $. I have steelflex on my jon boat hull, added EZ slide pads over the carpeted bunks. Great combo so far...even if the pads only last a couple more years well worth the 30$ I paid. As Fowler warned, better tie down the hull well and don't remove the front clip until you are backed down in the water, otherwise you'll be swimming after it! Some guys have claimed success by simply painting gator glide over their bare bunks.

8. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member

I have trex type bunks. yeah they are more than normal lumber 2x4 but they won't rot thus no relacement

JFG likes this.
  9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I run rotted rug on one bunk and bare wood on the other bunk, that I re-runned a few years ago. I don't really need bunk runners. I run primative, rotted loin cloth and bare wood. . I run the boat back into the water on the ramp and run the brakes a little hard, and the boat magically responds to my commands and runs off the bunks. Wala, launched boat.
    My buddy runs the boat to the dock with the rope, the dog jumps in and gets the motor running for me and then runs a travel mug of coffee for me from the thermos. She then salutes me with her paw as I am the master of the ship, that I run.
    :joker

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

That's fine at a boat ramp but when you are launching into a ditch that is near level or other situations like that ; then you begin to appreciate the extra help from the bunk sliks or steelflex etc.

Years ago I launched in a spot where we just about tied a rope to a tree then dragged the trailer out from under the boat to launch.