Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Bunk glides

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by gadwall52, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya. Thats how we would put Dad's 18' Old Town skiff in the back yard for the winter. We'd back her up, tie the stern to two big cedar trees that were next to each other, slowly drive the trailer out and at one point and the stern started to come off the trailer, have cinder blocks and a thick plank for it to rest on, then drove forward and did the same to the bow, then a set in the middle, jacked up a few inches, cinder block in then lowered to support the belly. God I loved that boat. The trailer had rollers.

Fowler267 likes this.
  2. BigBand

BigBand Elite Refuge Member

I used 2x6 trex, decking, but I ripped it in half just to double my meager supply. Countersink the holes for the screws so the screw heads don't dig into your hull.

DO NOT use synthetic decking in place of your 2x4 or 2x6 wood bunks. The decking does not have enough stiffness, and it needs the support of the existing boards under it. Just attach the decking on top of the existing bunks.

JFG and BobGlover like this.
  3. BadBowtie

BadBowtie Elite Refuge Member

I used some UMHW or the same stuff cutting boards are made of.

Attached Files:

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I'm thinking about replacing my bunks with Trex for my layout boat trailer. Layout boat and motor probably only weigh 300 lbs together, plus another 50-100 with decoys and battery and such in there. Do you think Trex would hold up for it? I hadn't considered the sagging aspect.

5. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

I replaced my glides with 1x4 PVC board from Home Depot. Cut to length, thermoweld together with pvc glue to make 2x4 and install. The PVC is pretty slick so the boat is far easier to load and should never need replaced. Very pleased with the result.

6. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I went to Walmart and bought several of their largest plastic cutting boards, I cut them in 3's then counter sunk screws to mount them. They cover the whole length of the bunks. I think the whole thing cost me 30 bucks. The boat just slides off the trailer. If you use this method, never unhook your boat till your ready to actually take it off the trailer. Just backing down the ramp, the boat will slide off the trailer. I have a very heavy boat and could not push it off the bunks with 4 guys, now I can easily do it by myself. Good luck.

BadBowtie likes this.
  7. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

That is a great and cheap idea.

8. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

I rub mine down with a non-caloric silicone based kitchen lubricant. Back the boat down to the water and it's 'later dudes'.

[​IMG]

callinfowl, thatguy2 and Fowler267 like this.
  9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

For the cutting boards you can get a nice sized one at Sam's for about $8; I think it's around 15"x20". Works great; have used on a few trailers and got some cut down to install on my big boat one of these days.

10. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

What about rain gutter downspouts