Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Burned out blinds...

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by RedlegsId, Aug 8, 2017.

1. RedlegsId

RedlegsId Senior Refuge Member

Has anyone heard of anyone or F&G burning down blinds on Snake River in the last 45 days? Had a blind burned to the ground not a trace of anything left.

2. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Don't know about anyone burning blinds, but I do know that permanent blinds on Idaho public land are illegal! I've seen a number of them on the Snake over the years. I don't use them.

IFSteve likes this.
  3. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

Are you sure it was IDFG? I have been hunting sw Idaho since the mid 70's and old timers favorite past time was blind burning people they had issue with. I don't condone those activities, but....are you sure you havent crossed the wrong fella??

4. Duksnfish

Duksnfish Guest

Been years since I have heard of this happening. Years ago, probably 10+ here in East Idaho on the Snake I had one like that, and several others around here and over your way, but not since. Wonder what's happening now to get that started again?

5. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Bottom line is as already pointed out. They are illegal. So who gives a crap if somebody is burning them down, in fact I am glad they are.

6. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Having worked for BLM doing law enforcement, actually they are not illegal. It's a loop hole in the regulations that allow them to be put on BLM lands, unless they have recently changed, but, at the time I had one on the River, as long as you took it down at end of the season, it was good to go. So depends on what you want to call illegal and permanent. Nothing is really permanent, can always be taken down. When I had mine taken down years ago, I knew who it was and it was another bunch of duck hunters and they got mad one day when I beat them to the blind and the next day they took/burned it down. I got a partial on their boat tag and could identify the boat but needed the full tag to be prosecuted.

I know some of the blinds in SW Idaho are on refuge and/or BOR lands and have different regs and or F&G lands and that is a different story. Check with the land owner or land management agency to see what they say and then go for it.

7. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

From the regs:

Activities on Fish and Game Lands
    Some of the activities prohibited on all lands, waters and roads under control or administration of Idaho Fish and Game include: • Entering, using or occupying lands or waters posted against such entry, use, or occupancy. • Constructing blinds, pits, platforms, or tree stands where the soil is disturbed, trees are cut or altered, and artificial fasteners, such as wire, rope, or nails are used. All blinds shall be available to the public on a “first-come, first-served” basis.

goosepond likes this.
  8. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Agree Steve, that is why everyone needs to talk to the appropriate land administration to find out what is and isn't legal. It all depends on what is built, land ownership, and what is considered permanent. Even with this definition under F&G regs, the soil disturbance thing can get about anyone who moves cat tails, reeds, tules, etc and if any soil is moved in moving them so you can put a boat in for cover or for you to hide is technically a violation. Sad, but if an agency wants to get you for something, they can no matter what you do.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Seems like the new trend among guys I know is to use the panel blinds that have come on the market recently
    I don't hunt the river from a boat these days, tho I have made a very light roll-up blind I could fit into the boat if I chose.
    Such blinds should pose no problem for river hunting in most cases, other than the fact the store bought blinds are so expensive.

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Tanglefree makes a pretty nice (but expensive) panel blind.