Burt County

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by luvtwohunt, Dec 6, 2017.

1. luvtwohunt

luvtwohunt Senior Refuge Member

Greetings from NC. The bride's family is from the Lyons area and I was looking into maybe taking a trip there. How is the overall hunting in this area particularly ducks and geese? Please PM me. Thanks

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

What'd her family say when you asked them?

Huntges11 likes this.
  3. luvtwohunt

Well since they farm and no one in her family hunts.... Understand?

4. spaightlabs

I've never met a farmer yet that doesn't know what's going on in the fields they farm. There aren't many I've met that I trust to tell me how many birds are using their fields but they will for sure know what's around. Ask them if they get a lot of people asking to hunt their stuff. If so, there's a reason. If no, it might just be b/c it's not around a ton of people.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Some areas of Burt county can be great.

6. Sandhills_fwlr

Sandhills_fwlr Refuge Member

In the Lyons area the dredge and Todd valley wetlands there aren’t many birds if at all. Don’t get me wrong it can be a flyway during migration days but not much for roosts at all. You got to get east over to the Missouri River bottoms to find decent hunting. There are a lot of farmers especially in this area that have fields scattered in a 12 mile area. No way they would know after harvest if a specific field is being used except if they were getting asked to hunt it esp in an area that’s not historically a waterfowling spot. See if the in laws know anyone that hunts one of the many duck clubs over on Missouri bottoms and can get you a spot...

7. luvtwohunt

Thanks for the replies men. We freelance Canada and NoDak and have always wanted to hunt Nebraska. Figured what the heck at least we have some connections there. The bride's father grew up in Walthill and she has family in Lyons also. Thinking of driving up in February doing some looking around and run some rabbit hounds.

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Canada and nodak are way way above Nebraska for waterfowl unless you are in certain areas at certain times.

9. luvtwohunt

Just figured if I could do some visiting the family and shoot some birds it would be a win win.

10. spaightlabs

Ask them about turkey hunting opportunities if you are so inclined. Might as well sneak in a spring family visit as well.:tu