Bushhog mature barnyard or leave it

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Bercy3939, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Bercy3939

Bercy3939 New Member

We have a spot where the barnyard grass has matured and has browned - July 18 in the Mississippi Delta.

Any suggestions as whether to bushhog now, spray 24d in a couple weeks and hope for a second 'crop' or let it be? Thanks.

2. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

3. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

BTW. If your entire pool area is Barnyard Grass I would mow out sections of the mature sections now and again (if it regrows) later so you have a 50/50 water/vegetation ratio in you overall pool area. We plant Corn and leave several 50 yard wide by 100-500 yard long sections that we mow and will ultimately show water. The goal is to provide both a cold weather crop of corn and a warm weather moist soil crop for the birds while achieving a 50% open "clean" water/50% vegetation (Corn/Millet/Smartweed) ratio.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

In my experience and info gathering, barnyard grass seeds will need a season of winter before they break dormancy and can germinate. If you have broadleaf coverage mixed in with your byg, spraying could release those seeds that had not germinated which could give you some additional plants. I have several different byg types in my m-s pond and some germinate later than others.

As mentioned above, mowing is a good thing for many different reasons.