Butt-Up feeder decoys - now teal

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by DoveMan, Jul 24, 2018.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

We kill a few mallards here and there but way more gadwall. I bought some feeder butts and painted the bellies white so they looked like gadwall. These were the old flambeau ones. Iirc I had to drill a hole on the other end of the keel so the belly would face downwind like a live duck would be though.

Billy Bob likes this.
  2. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Teal feeder butts, this may be a ploy to get hunters to spend more money on stuff that won't help them kill ducks:nutz

lugnut and freefall like this.
  3. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

So feel free to throw the BS flag if you want, but I spent years doing waterfowl behavior observations as a researcher. Relaxed flocks in feeding habitat would be anywhere from 50-90% feeding at any given time. A colleague and I had the bright idea to switch to a feeder spread in certain places and started buying up butts. Found a deal and picked up like 5doz. I think we only deployed them once under duckless skies before he moved, but I still have 3 doz-ish. Use them in certain situations and think it may help when we are on pressured public birds with hunters 200 yds each side of us. We usually seem to do just a bit better than the next guy... Goose hunters would consider it absurd to use an all upright spread in a field, right.

But teal butts? I think I'm all set for now, thanks.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I know ducks have feeding areas and rest areas here so I can see well more than half feeding is possible. I have seen flocks of hundreds of wigeon and pintails feeding in pastures with almost no heads up. There are ponds here where almost every duck is preening or resting. Do I think ducks are smart enough to know the difference between a feeder and a standard decoy? No.You're probably just better hunters.

I'll save my rant about ducks having a brain the size of a peanut and realism being for the hunter only. :nutz :l

freefall likes this.
  5. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

wonderducs our guys r now so old we forget to pull the string or can't find it ps if u use flock of flicker try them right tight to the shore or corn I think you'll like it