Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Buying a new outboard ? Tohatsu

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by swamp wader, Dec 24, 2018.

1. swamp wader

swamp wader Senior Refuge Member

Got my atlas micro jacker on the way and im trying to decide between the new Tohatsu 40 or 50. Is it true the only difference between the two is a restrictor plate on the 40? I will be putting it on a 17/48 pro drive hull. Selling the pro drive motor and going back to a outboard.

2. metalworx

metalworx Senior Refuge Member

Go with the 50 and you won't regret it

freefall likes this.
  3. BudT

BudT New Member

Yes, based on my research the restrictor plate is what makes a 40 a 40 and the 50 a 50. I have read a ton of info about this and had conversations with one of Tohatsu's very reputable dealers on this subject. It is as simple as removing the airbox, a couple of screws, and slipping the plate out. Danny, "1995 US1" on here is a great resource on these motors and could probably offer more insight. One thing to be aware of with these motors is they are very power hungry, by Tohatsu's manual they require a 100ah 850 CCA battery, just fyi, this is in most cases a group 31 (very heavy). I'm putting together a boat as we speak and planning to use this motor. However, I'm pretty turned off about these battery requirements. I have reached out to Tohatsu as well as a couple of Lithium Ion battery companies to try to see what options are possible. If this is of interest to you, let me know and I will pass on what I learn. This seems to be the only negative that I have come across with this motor so far, otherwise reviews are extremely favorable.

4. swamp wader

Thanks , and let me know what ya find out.

5. BudT

BudT New Member

Here is the message I sent Tohatsu and the reply I received. Take it for what it is worth, I didn't find it to be much help.

Message : The battery Cold Cranking Amps requirements in the manual seem excessive for an engine of this size. The manual states that 850-1000 cca are required. I am interested in using a lithium ion battery to reduce weight. It is difficult and expensive to find a lithium ion battery that meets these requirements. Will the engine be damaged or not perform properly if a smaller battery is used? Will the warranty be voided? Also are there any concerns to be aware of with using a lithium ion battery with this engine? If the answers to these questions are no, can you please advise on the minimum CCA that should be adequate? Please advise

Response: Thank you for visiting the Tohatsu website and purchasing a Tohatsu MFS50A. The need for the large CA and CCA battery is because everything on the motor runs on 12V including the ignition coils, injectors, fuel pump, etc. and they need good voltage in addition to spinning over the starter which can draw 150-200 amps. We have not done adequate testing with Lithium batteries to know how they will react with the charging system on the MFS50A so I cannot recommend using such a battery.

If you run a battery with a lower CCA as the battery ages you could have starting issues or engine performance issues is the battery cannot supply the needed voltage and amperage. Also running accessories on the same battery could affect the battery performance. I have found automotive starting batteries in reasonable sizes with the 850CCA capacity that are in the standard Group 24 size most marine starting batteries are in.

The End......

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I found some Li-Ion starting batteries, but they are about $2000-3000 (ouch!). Looks like Mazda is partnering with a battery mfg to start mass producing Li-Ion batteries in 2021 for cars. You may find it easier and cheaper in a few years, vice now. Li-Ion also have a charging "range" that they will charge in, without ruining them. I'm unsure if the charging system on the Tohatsu will match that or not. As the response you got back stated, everything on those motors requires power to operate. I wouldn't doubt when the low power threshold is hit, the motor goes to crap, or shuts down completely. Li-Ion batteries of today HATE cold weather also. The Li-Ion particles don't move very well in the cold. For example, my cell phone will work all day indoors. Take it out on a cold day, and the battery "drains" in chunks of 5-10% at a time, and goes from 100% to 1% in less than an hour. I contacted Apple about this, and they told me that is normal with Li-Ion batteries. The battery isn't "dead", it just isn't putting out much power because it's cold, and the phone thinks it's dying. Hopefully we see leaps and bounds in their progression, as they are awesome batteries, overall.

BudT likes this.
  7. BudT

BudT New Member

Very good info thank you.

8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I doubt you are giving up more then 10 LBS on the larger battery. You could easily loose that weight elsewhere if you have a full load of decoys etc.

9. BudT

BudT New Member

Good point, thanks.

10. swamp wader

Thanks for the info. I got the 50 coming. Should have it all bolted down early next week. Then to looking into props I reckon.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018