Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Buying a new outboard ? Tohatsu

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by swamp wader, Dec 24, 2018.

1. metalworx

metalworx Senior Refuge Member

It's my understanding that Evinrude E-Tecs require the same battery requirements. Everything on these mtrs is electronic, no carbs, etc.

2. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like they need a bigger alternator. Do the 30 horse motors have the same power requirements ? I'm going to repower my 1648 lowe this spring and have been looking at the tohatsu motors.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The Tohatsu expert is 1995US1. You may have to pm him as he isn't here as much as he used to be.

4. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I believe Tohasu/Nissan makes good outboards, have for years. I have a Tohatsu 6 hp kicker and like it. I personally wouldn't get one of their TLDIs (injection 2 strokes) though. The last couple years Tohatsu has added 4-strokes in the same horsepowers. Their weights for each HP are essentially the same. It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the TLDI line soon. When they first developed them, there were weight advantages over 4-strokes, not so much now as 4-stroke technology has advanced.

5. swamp wader

swamp wader Senior Refuge Member

Got everything mounted up ready to go.. jack plate , tach , etc. Anxios to see how it runs after the break in period....