Ca Senate Bill 623 wants to tax all drinking water in State to pay for AG Aquifer pollution

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by California Flyway, Sep 24, 2017.

1. RemSpt58

RemSpt58 Elite Refuge Member

The more I looked at the map I noticed that a lot of the areas that have violations are traditionally corn and cotton growing areas.

CF- According to your article your friend in Fresno doesn't have much need to worry. It seems Fresno has pretty good water quality. So does Fowler, Selma, Kingsburg, Parlier and most of the areas surrounding Fresno that are VERY Ag heavy. If you look at the east side and foothills you will notice worse water quality. Ag is not causing that. Quite a few of the areas you are blaming Ag for are high levels of Arsenic which is not a result of Ag. There are nitrate problems, some of which is caused by Ag and some is not. This has been a problem for decades and is not just an recent issue. I know it doesn't fit your narrative but this has been occurring long before the almond boom. My dad didn't really care about the water from his well and for dang sure his dad and uncles didn't. Awareness plays a role and now just a few miles from where I grew up we have an RO and filter system for our tap water and am surrounded by the ground we farm. I think we are seeing more regulation and attention being paid to well water quality and this bill is the result of that. If somebody that knows the area looked at the map they would know your narrative doesn't work.

2. RemSpt58

Looks like Stanislaus County is worse than most of the Westlands area. Care to explain why? Quite a bit further north. Not a ton of wells to pump ground water in that area either.

3. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Elite Refuge Member

I don't know.
    I do know that it is a big problem in many places down there.
    The only reason I brought up westlands is speckslayer parrots their BS talking points.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

There are lots of problems in lots of areas. Some is ag, some is nature, and some is cities. Same with the delta. Same with lots of our environmental problems. If you look at all of my posts, you will see that I readily admit ag is part of the problem. I just think it's bigger than ag. We need lots of cooperation on all fronts to fix the problem.

5. RemSpt58

Since when has the farmer been anything more than a price taker? Exactly how would a farmer who gets told what the price of a commodity or food crop is pass along his cost? Is the packer going to pay the farmer more based on his fixed costs and input costs? If it costs me $100 more per acre to farm this year than last it doesn't mean I can pass it along. To Kevin's point, big farmer's can spread out the cost and make it based on volume and the smaller family guys will continue to sell to those big guys as they get regulated out because they can't spread out the cost.

6. Green house

Green house Refuge Member

One reaps what one sows. Fresno south has been the most environmentally destructive forces found. Dammed all the rivers and took all the water. Drained one of the largest lakes in the country, poisoned wetlands with their san luis drain and reached up into nor cal to decimate salmon. One would have though folks coming over running from the dust bowl would have learned something. The ones that stayed learned from what happened and made the dust bowl region both productive and environmentally friendly. Fresno bakersfield not so much.

7. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Let me ask this: Is there another state in the union that has a tax like this?

8. RemSpt58

Interestingly enough, according to the map, the two main towns in the heart of the Tulare Lake Basin, Corcoran and Stratford, have pretty good water quality. As you go south from there into Kettleman City and Alpaugh you do run into water quality issues and the main contamination comes from Arsenic.

Again, the third highest level of problem water was listed in the article as Stanislaus County, 100 miles north of Fresno and 200 north of Kern County. Why?

9. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for that. Ya your right, my thinking was more along the lines of the big farming operations

Git to be tough on the little guy sure

Good luck out there

10. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Regarding arsenic, lead arsenate was the primary pesticide used before DDT. Mainly on orchards. Yes, it does occur naturally in the coast range near Panoche, and when Westlands irrigates on that soil, guess what happens....