Cabelas announced that they will no longer service........

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Matt Barnard, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I need to change the impellar on the the water pump on my Evinrude motor. I purchased this from Cabelas a few years ago. Now what? There aren't any shops close by.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

You have choices:

1. Change it yourself
    2. Trailer to a place that can do it
    3. Find a mobile mechanic who can come to you
    4. Don't use the boat and let it sit in the yard until it's rotten and then list on Craigslist for 4X actual value (minus the cost of an impeller)

3. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I’ve done #4 and several variations of it (like shove it in a barn that’s free to store it but is so inconvenient you never go pick it up and the mice and rats trash it).

It’s a good time, highly recommend.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Technically it's barely used.
    I love the C-List posts for boats:

For Sale:
    18ft boat with trailer
    Trailer need new lights and axle, motor not included, hull is mostly firm, navigation lights needs re-wire (have extra wire to install), trolling motor included (ran last time I used it), live well needs cleaning and new pump, needs to new carpet, anchor and lifejackets not included. Title for boat but not for trailer

$13,500 FIRM

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  5. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Only serious inquiries...

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If you order the parts on the line, there are YouTube videos that can walk you through replacement. I’d suggest watching it once to figure out what tools you need, then watch again as you work. I did this for splitting a tractor to install a clutch, and it made it a breeze, even though I had never even seen one done.

7. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I'm not very mechanically inclined. Gladly pay to giter done.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Ain't but one way to get that way...roll those sleeves up and get to work!

9. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Only thing that sometimes tops the posters are some of the replies.

I sold a boat on there last summer and I was fair and honest about what it was. Structurally very sound boat and trailer but engine and some of the wiring were gonna be clunky. More of a project boat. I asked (and eventually did get ) $2k for it, said no trades, cash only, no deposits or holds. Figured any money was a plus and I really wanted it gone, but I wasn’t gonna give it away either.

I got:

“Would you take a dirt bike and $500?”

“I got a sweet Monte Carlo that’s sat for only 6 years but I’d trailer it you for the boat.”

“I get paid next Friday. Can I give you $50 to take your ad down?”

“Will you take a check?”

A weird one: “Can you buy the parts it needs and take that off the purchase price?”

“I’ll give you $1200 cuz that’s all it’s worth” (even the real tire kickers were only going down to $1600/$1700 or so on their first haggle/offer).

Also plenty of guys from real far out wanting me to meet them. I only do that if I get wired or mailed the funds first. If not, theyd bring way less money and/or haggle you to death knowing you won’t wanna drive all the way back without making the sale.

10. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I live in the Sierra and there is nothing close for any kind of repair...I take that back, we have auto repair 10 miles away, but everything else is 45 miles. Thank God and Al Gore for the interwebs! Now days EVERYTHING that can break has a video on how to fix it and where to get the parts! If I were to take my boat to a shop for an impeller change it would require 180 miles of driving and 5 or 6 hours of my time, not to mention the fuel expense, the labor cost and the mark up on the part. To do the job myself requires about 15 minutes of web surfing on the couch, $25 to order a part that will be delivered to my door in 2 days, and 45 minutes tops to change the impeller. You don't have to be a mechanic to do this job and you don't need special tools.

Fowler267 and Duckfiend like this.