Cabela's....Shipping Charge Oversight?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bluebill77, Sep 13, 2017.

1. bluebill77

bluebill77 Senior Refuge Member

End of last month/early this month, Cabela's ran a promotion involving free shipping. When I placed my order, I was charged shipping. I placed the order anyway as "in stock"/"out of stock" changes there by the minute often-times these days. I contacted Cabela's via chat the next day and was told there had been a glitch in the system that was now discovered. I was assured I would receive my refunded shipping charge "within 10 business days", which I was.

However, the refund did not include the taxes that I (and we all must) pay on that shipping charge. I just got done chatting with a rep again and was told she would submit a request to refund that extra amount to my account, so all should be well.

I just wonder though, how many other people this affected and were not aware of it? Now granted, for me it was only about a buck and some people may pish-posh it, but I look at it this way: 1.) If any of us were SHORT that amount, we could not make the purchase and 2.) a business could actually MAKE money on an "oversight" like that!

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but what's right is right....if I have to pay it, then I should get it back if warranted, and so should you. I just wanted to make people aware of it if they think they may be affected. Check your accounts and do some math.

Now I get to move on to this Equifax thing as I am one of the 143,000,000 potentially affected!

bb77

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Personally, I wouldn't stress out over getting ripped on the tax on a shipping charge. We talking a couple bucks, at most? More important things to worry about.

Ringbill likes this.
  3. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

It depends on what you ordered. Ammo or other really heavy items have an additional shipping surcharge that is not usually covered by the free shipping deal.

4. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

I guess I didn't know or really care that the shipping charge was taxed.

5. bluebill77

bluebill77 Senior Refuge Member

Actually, I got off track a bit on my original post. I intended to also point out that you may have been charged for shipping when you should not have, not only in regard to the tax on it. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine...it was just an informational post. But, a few bucks X however many thousand (?) orders is a good haul! I'd take it anyway!

bb77

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

shipping charges as common carrier usually are not taxable. I deal with this issue with clients all the time.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, never seen that either. Not that I care, no sales tax in MT.

I have NEVER seen a charge that was different from the 'place your order' screen. Once you get to the end, and before you hit 'submit', is shows you your order amount, shipping amount, tax (if any) and the total. That total is all they are allowed to charge you.

8. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like Bass Pro shops are already taking control. :flame

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Is that a known problem with BPS?

10. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

A few years back a large retail store was exposed as having 68%of registers receipts incorrect,with 80%in the stores favor.Never forced to pay it back but ore red to correct it.