Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Cabelas?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by goosepond, Feb 14, 2014.

1. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Well they announced it yesterday, Cabelas is building a 41,000 sqft store in Ammon, corner of Hitt and Sunnyside. To be open in 2015 and start building this spring. Wonder how it will impact Sportsmans Warehouse being that close. They will employee 90 full time and temp employees.

Whats everyones thoughts on this coming to Ammon?

2. fkreller

fkreller Senior Refuge Member

Prices at Sportsman's will get very cheap. Happened to the one in Meridian when Cabela's came to Boise. Get better service at Sportsman's, too.

3. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I llike both sports but Cabela's is for sure more expensive. I liked Cabelas's because of how they use to stand behind their products but I think now it is a toss up. Most of the time both places have a limited stock of waterfowl gear so I order online anyway. Sportsman's is cheaper on guns by atleast $100 sometimes more. I hope Sportsmans does ok because I think it is good to have other options.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My two main stores
    When Sportmans was in Pokey I shopped mostly at Sportsmans.
    We generally stopped at Cabelas in Rapid city , Mitchel and Owatonna once a year for any in store buys.

Recently We had been buying mostly mail order from Cabelas , We just don't drive thru Idaho Falls during shopping hours:nutz

5. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm surprised they think our area is big enough to support a Cabelas.

I shop Cabelas online as their prices there are better than in the store more often then not. I like Sportsmans, they've treated me well.

6. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I kind of wished Cabelas had stayed a catalog business. The prices were better and the customer service was better. The Boise store just laid off several employees, calling it seasonal layoff, though several of the employees had worked there for many years. I'm guessing opening the new stores has them strapped and they need to make room for payroll.

7. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Seasonal layoffs? Id be willing to beat its more to do with cost of Obamacare than anything. Many other big buisness's are laying off people due to what its costing them in higher health care costs.

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Our company health insurance premiums went up 12% this year. 2% was attributed to the costs associated with Obamacare provisions, like keeping dependents on an employee's insurance until they are 27. The rest of the increase is overall health care cost increases. Our company self-insures, meaning that Blue Cross administrates the claims but the company cuts a check to them for the payouts.

I am by no means a defender of the Affordable Care Act, but I am not sure that it's existence has as much effect...yet...on a company's health care costs as some people believe it does.

Now, when the "Cadillac tax" for what the government deems are high benefit plans kicks in around 2017 (I think), and businesses will have to pay a luxury tax for having too nice of a plan for their employees, look for many companies to reduce benefits. Our CEO has said as much, telling us that whatever level of diminished benefits we will have to reach in order to slide under the Cadillac tax plateau, we will be there. And he says he is talking to other CEOs of the same mind.

It is not my intent to jack this thread into a health care debate, so "carry on" with the Cabelas discussion. :l

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

One of the cool things about Cabelas is that if you buy something online (super sales included) you can have it shipped to your local store free, saving you shipping costs. Either way, you are going to pay sales tax.

And I have found many good deals over the years in the Bargain Cave at the Cabelas stores I have visited...

10. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Lots of our New Zealand customers purchase decoys on line from Cabelas and have them shipped to our store for us to pick up. I'm not sure whether they pay sales tax on that or not.