Cacklers

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by HONKEREXTREME, Oct 21, 2017.

1. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Senior Refuge Member

shot 2 cacklers in NW Ohio today. Trying to figure out what sub species they are, I think it's a Richardsons but not sure. What say you cackler hunters?

Attached Files:

2. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Little goose! Too many damn subspecies
    Mounter for sure, love those little guys

3. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Richardson. There is so much info that runs together on the web.

We shot a few in September along with a bunch of lessers. We get mostly giants here in Michigan which I'm guessing would be the same down in Ohio. This year we have been shooting a lot more midget geese.

45504-02.jpeg

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

The late USFWS Senior Mississippi Flyway Biologist, Art Brazda, once told me, "They are either Richardson's or Hutchinson's - depending on who your ornithology professor was related to." All the same little 3lb and change Canada, just going by different names in different parts of the country.

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I believe all the small Canadas are bunched together into one group. They are now all called Lessers. No more Richardsons or Cacklers etc.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

7. Rick Hall

Pretty sure he's "officially" wrong, with all the little short-billed geese now being officially consided "cacklers," not "lessers".

goosenazi and BirdJ like this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Naw, he's right...
    There are 7 recognized subspecies of Canada geese: Atlantic, Hudson Bay or Interior, Giant, Moffitt's or Great Basin, Lesser, Dusky and Vancouver. In general, the subspecies nesting farther north are smaller in size and darker in color to the west.
    http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/canada-goose

Or,
    He's wrong...
    Cackling geese resemble Canada geese in appearance. Male cackling geese are slightly larger than females, with both sexes having long, black necks with white chinstraps. The breast, abdomen and flanks range in coloring from a light gray to a dark chocolate brown, either blending into the black neck or being separated from it by a wide white collar. The back and scapulars are darker brown, the rump is blackish and the tail is blackish-brown with a U-shaped white band on the rump. The bill, legs and feet are black.

Cackling geese are a small-bodied group of four subspecies, consisting of the Aleutian, Cackling, Taverner's and Richardson's (Hutchins's) geese. Cackling geese have proportionally smaller, stubbier, triangular-shaped bills than their Canada goose counterparts.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/cackling-goose

So, I take from these two articles, BOTH from DU, that Cacklers are NOT Canada geese?
    Very confusing.

9. Rick Hall

A dozen or so years ago, the "official" big bird brains thought they'd simplify things by lumping various subspecies together and pretty much just muddied the water more. Art Brazda, the Senior Flyway Biologist I referenced earlier, was of the opinion that it made the most sense just to speak of Canadas, which are apparently inclined to interbreed regardless of whatever classifications we may give them, in terms of breeding populations.

10. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

Rick is correct. you have canada geese and cackling geese now. short billed geese are cacklers.

goosenazi likes this.