Cajun Squeal and Illinois Cut

Discussion in 'Committed Custom Calls' started by Peter Goodman, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Refuge Member

Gary, love the call and been practicing, but getting bored in the car and never tried a Cajun squeal so after some YouTube instruction gave it a try. No mentors around to listen, but seems to sort of squeal (and I am in the learning stage, so likely getting ahead of myself...). But is the Illinois Cut really designed to do a squeal, which I understand requires "hold"? Call is definitely high volume, course and all duck. Have heard that some designs squeal better than others, and being new at this wondering how much squeal is in the Illinois Cut? thanks

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  2. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Hey there Peter . Got to be careful what you read on the internet . A lot of folks try to make calling and particular notes of calls out to be rocket science when in reality it is not . Most every good call out there can do any note under the sun if it's a good versatile call .

The Illinois Cut , and all CCC for that matter have the range to to any note under the sun including squeal . The BigBore and SnubNose will have the most range and run loosest (most range) . To achieve that squeal you must close down your mouth cavity to squeeze the notes out that's what gives you the squeal .

As always the sky is the limit . Dedication and practice practice practice . Hope all is well . Thanks again . -Gary

3. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

I learned the squeal as a fun trick to pull out when I was either frustrated with the way the ducks were working or just to clown on some of the other callers in my hunting area when they blew out ducks over my spread by being goofy. What helped me beyond the basic understanding of air pressure needed to achieve the squeal was mouth cavity and tongue position. Understand that there's more than one way to make a peanut butter sandwich, but a REFERENCE position of your tongue might be to think "kee" (with a very soft k) while moving the air slightly faster at the back end than you would at the beginning of your note. It comes down to personal preference how pronounced you make the squeal, and for me, I like a subtle but audible one to simulate (in my mind) a younger hen. An explanation of how i achieve this sound using this position is when i move the very back of my tongue up to the roof of my mouth, i am NOT cutting the note off, rather blending the higher pitch with the lower that i started my note with by having a very small opening for air to be forced into the call. Thus, causing a higher pressure of air forcing it to the toneboard and the reed. You can cause this increase in pressure with multiple positions of your tongue and mouth cavity, but I use the back of my tongue for the vast majority of my call work with respect to pitch, volume and depth and i find that the squeal is much easier for me to control. It absolutely can get away from you especially on a call that likes to do it. I have a Big Bore in hedge on the way I picked up from another member at a killer price and I am super pumped to run it. If it plays ball like I am expecting, Gary will have a solid order for acrylics when i get back from my deployment in the fall.

4. THEIRCOMMITED10

Hi there Rikard . ThankYou for your service . When you are back from deployment get in touch with me and I will take care of you .

ThankYou again for your service to the red white and blue . God Bless and be safe . -Gary

5. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

Gary. Some follow up on the big bore I picked up. This thing is a screamer and it's just hedge! On volume, it might give my deceiver a run for its money. Probably the easiest of my collection to find how it likes to be run. Color me impressed. Looking forward to doing business in the fall to get it some acrylic friends.

6. THEIRCOMMITED10

Rikard , ThankYou much for the outstanding feedback . It really makes my day to hear those kinds of things it really does .

Always worried when someone buys a used call that it may have been tinkered with and not sound correct for the new owner . In this case it all worked out good to sounds like .

The way I designed my calls is for dominate hens and volume . The way we hunt here in Illinois we need that to demand and control the ducks whether it's massive flocks pealing some out high , or against stiff competition from other hunters in the immediate area .

The SnubNose screams even louder than the BigBore if you can believe that .

Thanks again for the review please spread the good word if you can and if you ever need anything just send me an email and I will take care of you .

ThankYou for your service . -Gary