California Boaters card

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Cold Fold, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I think they need a test like getting your drivers license. Written and practical, including trailering.

I took the course in 2006 to make my insurance cheaper.

hunt'ngreen likes this.
  2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Living on a large tidal slough I get to see the carnage first hand. Just yesterday I had an idiot (who probably didn't know any better) plow down the slough almost next to my dock, the wake ripped off one of the bumpers that keeps my boat from getting bashed into the dock! I have gone after a few people like that and chased them down, 90% of the time they don't have a clue that they are doing anything wrong, so any kind of education is good in my opinion.

3. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

Being a good person on the water is not hard to do just using common sense makes all the difference in the world. Many people forget about what the wake of a boat can do to others and just speed right on by other boats in the water. Skiers are the worst offenders of other boats as are boats going on long trips in close quarters and not slowing down. I was a anchor near the Rio Vista bridge several years ago and a boat went past me about 5 yards away plowing the water with a huge wake it threw my tackle box and 2 poles in the water as the wake slammed my boat and dam near threw every overboard. Some people just don't think and should not operate a boat under any conditions.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  4. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

By 2024 they'll have a tax for water contamination for your boat one for your trailer, also your truck and you. Pig tags will be $50 and you can get 5 yote tags for $50.

hunt'ngreen, letmwurk and jrdukslr like this.
  5. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Do they have a special permit for Bayliner owners?

DUCKTWK and dwhauss like this.
  6. J-Duck

J-Duck Elite Refuge Member

people don't relize they can be sued for their wake I have seen it.So dude capsized a small aluminum boat with his wake and the people filed a lawsuit

7. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

:pra
    Don't forget the Grady White and Davis boats!:nutz

8. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Have them try and turn around, back down thru a line of cones for 50',...that alone would reduce the Einstein's by 75% on the ramps, little lone the other skills, and common courtesy it takes to operate a boat safely.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I live on a lake up here and my biggest peeve is the wake throwers and the effect on your boat at the dock. Our county law is 200 feet away from any dock must be a no wake zone. The sheriff will bust you on that if they are out in their boat and see you but you know the old saying...where is a cop when you need one? :l It amazes me how many people think that going slow is what is intended by the law. Cruising at 7-8 mph, boat nose up in the air, plowing a huge wake as they pass 20 feet from my dock. No wake means no wake, not go slow. I used to get really steamed and scream from my deck at the worst offenders and then I realized that was not good for me or them. I bought some mooring whips to keep my boat moored out from the dock and I eventually bought a slip dock. I still fantasize putting a sign on my dock to remind folks that the no wake zone is 200 feet out. :reader

10. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

This measure won't fix stupidity.