California Long Gun Ban??? There must be more to the story

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by RemSpt58, Sep 21, 2017.

1. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

What am I missing? Seems the way to stay legal is to simply carry it loaded. The language says it's illegal to carry an unloaded long gun. Is there another law that already prohibits carrying a loaded long gun?

2. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

That is my understanding once the open carry laws were changed. It's my understanding that you can carry it from your private driveway into your home but not from the public street to your home.

3. thedckstpshere

thedckstpshere Elite Refuge Member

I didn't look into that, though I presume there is a law on the books about carrying loaded firearms. :)

The impetus for this bill was that the laws on the books regarding open carry of long guns currently only pertain to incorporated towns, so this bill makes things uniform (and the language does seem to allow for exceptions).

Give the office of one of the authors a call. Staff can probably discuss in far more detail about the policy theory and how the current language came to be. It's legislative staffers' job to talk to citizens about this stuff.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I live in a HOA behind a gate, so streets are considered private and while inside a city are not public property.

5. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Senior Refuge Member

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...sion=5.&title=4.&part=6.&chapter=3.&article=2.

sisqsprig likes this.
  6. thedckstpshere

thedckstpshere Elite Refuge Member

So you can parade around your neighborhood at your leisure.

7. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

8. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

I enjoyed the sign I recently spotted in the entry to a small town bank in Montna - "No firearms allowed inside". They worry about guns and ammo on a completely different plane of reality there, compared to here in California. I'll also never forget the mother of one of my childhood friends fretting because we were playing with toy guns. She took them away. We went right to the kindling stack, pulled off some wood and went right back at it. :dv

Trouble is the people like his mom took over my state legislature. :( The tide of morons continues to rise higher with each year in this state. Pretty soon people will be so inured to reality here in California, the only ones that will able to live a real life will be the criminals. Not that they are paying attention anyway.

Most of my county (Santa Cruz) is now deemed a "no shoot zone", including large swaths of rural unincorporated sections of the county. So I am wondering if the law gets passed if I can be arrested for taking my shotgun out of its case from the car, if the car is parked in a County right-of-way? Playing it out, I wonder if being busted for that would then trigger the State DOJ to deny me my annual ammunition buying license once that gets on the books?

I am presuming the policy interpretation implementation will be immaterial if it passes, since they will eventually (2 years? 5 years?) figure out a away to outlaw or make it logistically impossible to carry a loaded long arm and go hunting in California.

9. RemSpt58

RemSpt58 Elite Refuge Member

So the question is what is a "prohibited area"? I think I understand the intent but what are the consequences? Who gets to decide what a prohibited area is? Is a logging road a public road as there is various public recreation that uses the roads?

10. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Senior Refuge Member

A prohibited area is anywhere shooting is not legal.
    Cities generally are a prohibited area.
    Many counties also have no shooting zones.
    If you want to learn more about shooting around roads, I have a bunch of info on that I could dig up.

RemSpt58 likes this.