California State Land no lead requirement

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by BangingBirds, Mar 24, 2016.

1. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Hey Guys,

Likely this has been discussed before on this board. Looking for opinions on the new no lead requirement. We have managed a few draws on state land this year. I have been using copper plated lead for years on private and state land. Go with heavy shot none tox? thoughts would be appreciated for both 12 & 20 GA.

Thanks- Steve

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I shoot mag blends. They shoot low (but so do Win Longbeards, but no others do outta my gun), but kill the hell outta turkeys. Be sure you pattern your gun, just to know that your POI is correct.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Either regular Hevi or the magnum take your pick, as was stated pattern your gun if you can both will pattern very tight on you.
    40 yards 1 3/4 oz #2 Hevi 10 ga factory load, center circle is 15 inches
    [​IMG]

4. BangingBirds

Thanks guys- got some regular hevi shot in 6 for 12 and 7 for the 20 ordered.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Hevi-Shot is a better choice than lead for turkeys... At three shells per year for me (at the most), I do not mind spending the cash... Most expensive part is patterning them.

Pattern the gun with target loads first (I put three patterns with my turkey choke on the same paper) to see where the gun shoots. Then put one turkey load on the paper to make sure it is shooting in the same spot and that you are getting a good pattern.

6. BangingBirds

Thanks 10 Ga and Squaller on the patterning tips. Yes, it will be done next week before the hunt. Last minute Freddy as always. The boss of 27 years has always said I have scraped by my teeth on everything including filing taxes:yes:D:yes