Call advice?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Boot, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Boot

Boot New Member

Ok, first of all, I'm still a newbie at duck hunting. My son in law introduced me to it a couple seasons ago and I was instantly hooked. So far, I've gone hunting with him, and let him do all the calling, and he's actually pretty good. I know enough about calling to know I should be quiet if I simply ain't no good at it.
    That being said, I want to learn and practice over the off season so I don't have to depend on my son in law if I want to go when he can't.
    I don't think I'll need a 500$ call to begin with, but I also don't want to waste money or time on a junk call that won't be any good no matter how much I practice.
    Can y'all recommend a good quality call, that is perhaps "beginner friendly" as well? Something that will last, and produce good results, but maybe not require 100 years of practice to get decent results? I don't mind putting the time in to practice and learn a new skill.
    Since I live in Ga, I am looking for a wood duck call, along with a mallard call. I know some say you can't call wood ducks, but I've watched my son in law do it often and with good results. I'd like to learn it myself.
    I plan to watch as many instructional videos as I can find, and hopefully learn it before next season. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

2. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Primos makes an easy wood duck call to blow. You can't go wrong with a Haydel dr-12 mallard duck call. You should be able to get the pair for under 50.00.

Vammy likes this.
  3. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

Ton of info over in the calling forum but Lots of great options out there. I started with buck Gardner calls and then branched out.

You would be surprised what type of calls you can get fairly cheap Echo Wood and poly double is around $50 ... some of the custom guys also have specials on their calls from time to time

4. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

Buck gardener spitfire is like 50 bucks for an acrylic call which is pretty low, reed and a half, easy to blow and sounds good.

Zach.in.Nampa likes this.
  5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Dr-85

6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

X2

Vammy likes this.
  7. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

crack pipe X3

8. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

You might not (or maybe did) know what you've started with your question. If you just want to kill ducks, a Duck Commander DC200 is about the duck-killingest entry level call there is.

9. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

DR 85

10. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Do yourself a favor and buy something NEW, not a used call that someone has "custom tuned". Double reeds are much easier to learn on, IMO.

ncb