"Callers" stories....

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by 1 shot kill, Dec 24, 2012.

1. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Backstabbers & Swamp Scum

By Caller, 2000
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backstabbers & Swamp scum
    Or
    Nice guys finish where they don?t belong

By Caller

In the fall of the year sometimes the best-laid plans seem to go astray. No matter how hard a fellow tries to get his ducks in a row, somehow for some reason there is always a glitch. I?ve been there and so have you, if you have hunted ducks more than once.

Last fall was such a year for a pal of mine. He had planned all year on having access to a new duck club. But having been to a goat roping and a dog show he thought he had better, for safeties sake, keep hold of his old duck lease just in case the new one wasn?t going to be such a hot deal after all.

Being the quick thinker I have always given him credit for he got on the phone to every one he knew and offered them a share of the old lease for one year. That way he could cut his costs but still retain the old lease if something went wrong with the new lease.

No takers through his sources and repeated phone calling. So he went kinda public and started asking on the net if anyone was interested. As luck would have it two fellows jumped at the deal. A one-year share of the existing leases for $500.00 apiece. Chances were slim that they would have to share much at all with the actual leaseholders it seemed. What a deal? I almost took it myself but an old man can only do so much.

Now there is a law, which applies to duck hunters especially. I know some of you will relate it?s called Murphy?s Law, ?if something can go wrong, it will go wrong?. Duck season had barely started when good old Murphy raised his head and laughed loudly at my pal and his friend. The new lease it seems wasn?t going to be available after all. It didn?t make any difference that they had stood the cost and labor of fixing the Levy's, built a new duck blind and set out a couple hundred decoys. Seems some cousins got their wires crossed as to just who owned this property and what could actually be done with it. So as Murphy would have it a Judge decided that until the wires got uncrossed no one would hunt ducks there. My pal and his buddy were barred from entering the property and for that matter just leave there blind and decoys where they were for the time being. I have often wondered as I drove down the road just how many ducks that old judge shot there this year.

A quick regroup of plans was called for and the two went back to ?plan B?, with plan ?A? now shot down. Duck season would not be a total loss anyway! Well they just didn?t figure old Murphy was going to do them twice in the same year. Once was surely enough, surely it would be some other duck hunters turn at dealing with the Murphy.

The first hunt with their new partners should have opened their eyes that Murphy had not only targeted them, he was their bedfellow also. The new hunting duo thought a duck blind was a cocktail lounge for starters. Secondly, one thought the way to attract ducks was to hail call every duck he could see whether it was fifty yards away or ten miles away. The other new partner, who apparently was handling the close in work, might as well, had a shiny tin circus kazoo on his lanyard. Not only did he not sound like a duck he had no idea what ducks say to each other.

As the season progressed the hunting and killing got better as the plan ?B? boys reestablished themselves as the duck hunters and the new partners accepted the fact that suddenly they had very killable ducks in front of them most of the time. So Murphy got shown the gate you say.
    Not by a long shot my friends.

The season concluded with the new partners admittedly having killed more ducks in one season than they ever had. The plan ?B? boys were admittedly glad that this years ordeal had ended and would be satisfied just to look forward to next year when they would no longer be sharing the little timber hole blind.

?Hello Mr. Murphy. You a say you have some more laws? No, we had our share of your laws. Remember??
    ?We still have a duck blind and decoys we can?t seem to get to.?
    ?Did we ever hear the one about where nice guys finish??

Four months later the plan ?B? duo finds out that the owner of the property has somehow got the idea that his little duck hole is worth more and he wants his money by May 1st to lock the deal up.

Plan ?C? is now implemented. Negotiate a price, get guaranteed water and send the check. This is a done deal.

Not when you have old Murphy standing next to you. Plan ?B? leader makes check out sends to the wrong address. Gets letter back from U.S, Mail notifying of same on Thursday. On Monday property owner calls and says he didn?t get check and he has leased the hole to two others.

Plan ?B? leader now smells swamp scum. Inquires as to whom was standing in line to snatch the lease up. Property owner tells him it?s his two buddies that hunted with him this year and they have been pestering him for months to lease it to them. He was just tired of the phone calls.

Murphy has now left the building, smiling as he goes. Suddenly he stops, looks over his shoulder and mumbles, ?Boys have you heard the one about, What goes around comes around??

Now I know many of you will think there were many mistakes made by the plan ?B? boys and there were. But in this part of the world you don?t back stab someone regarding their duck hunting lease. That is unless you?re are backstabbing swamp scum.

Some days I just stand there motionless and let old Murphy walk on by.

There are no shortcuts to becomming an experienced Waterfowler.

If you could call all the ducks you see, soon there would be no ducks.

2. Bodawg

Bodawg Moderator

Tom Allen was his name. I remember when guys like Speck, Boogan Court and a few of the other MO boys that frequented the "Fuge" would actually get to voice chat with each other. tom had a knack for these stories and I always looked forward to another--god only knows how he made them up or from real experiences. I mentioned a few of the guys above and we met at Four Rivers (back when it wasn't on the map) for a early Teal season hunt. We had to laugh cause I was stepping out and before long Tom was 200 yards behind us bitchin about us leavin him lol. We slowed down and had a nice day. I still don't remember if we shot any Teal but we had a good time. Speck was from Cali and came out a few times, unfortunately I never got to meet him. Also, one year Tom and his family hosted a waterfowlers BBQ at his house and all I can say was there were a BUNCH of folks. Good times and I remember when Court called me the Day he passed. It was duck season, and he had just finished hunting from my understanding!! RIP Tom

3. c-hawk19

c-hawk19 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for posting up the stories Redhead and Auto5 I have enjoyed reading them immensely and I will reread them for sure.:tu

4. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

We shared many good stories together and times together. I stayed at his home for about a week when Tom was very sick and we thought he was going to die.Tough old fart he lasted 10 more years .I spread his ashes in the Butte sink and grizzly Island area as these were 2 places he wanted to visit and hunt but never got to do it. The call Tom was so well know for as many people wanted him to call ducks for them is in my hands now as his wife sent it to me.
    I will always remember Tom,Virgil, Donny,State, Bodawg,and many of us old timers who started these forums many years ago and how the stories would flow back and forth. There were a bunch of stories about me ducking out and hiding from caller as he made his way to california in his old dodge truck. He told how he had the hyway Patrol looking for me and the local police trying to find a place to stay. I laughed so hard so many times on how he could spin a yarn and how he placed me in his group in MO. In some stories he even had me owning a shack of a duck club and talked about us all sitting around the fire inside. Steve(Ranger BOB) and my self got picked on in alot of Toms stories.
    Every trip I made to MO I spent time with Tom and friends. I will take and cherish those days till I die. Rest in peace my friends Tom,and Virgil,and any of the others who have gone to the big duck club in the sky we will tell many stories when we meet again.
    I just thought about a afternoon with Tom as him and I called ducks together at the Web foot duck club when its owner told us they didn't get many ducks working that club in the afternoon time. Tom and I calling from the twin towers blind put about 50 Mallards in our face several times and the 3 of us limited out.

5. passonhens

passonhens Senior Refuge Member

Tom and I went to two different high schools together in Kansas City. We used to do a lot of duck callin together, even hunted together some near Lacyne, Kansas. Tom's ability to spin a yarn came easy and early. He managed to tell a few "stories" that got he and I out of a couple jams. You see, Tom and I experimented with brewery products when we were quite young.......it seemed to enhance the sound of those ole Chick Major "Dixie Mallards" we blew!
    God rest his soul, he was a good person and once a friend, always a friend. We lost touch when I moved away and that was a shame, because he was someone that was very hard not to like.

6. goetler

goetler Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for posting the stories. Hope that there are more to come. Sounds like he was quite the man.

7. Pantherdux

Pantherdux Moderator - MN forum / Photography Moderator

Those are awesome. Going to print out and share with all my hunting buddies. This is what makes the Fuge . . .. the Fuge!

8. trs8804

trs8804 Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu

9. trs8804

trs8804 Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu

I could read stories like this all day.

10. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Great stories!

Thanks for posting them up, very good read. :tu