"Callers" stories....

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by 1 shot kill, Dec 24, 2012.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I am honored to have Callers beautiful sounding, old wood call Ray.
    I will save it an use it in the field and pass it on to someone deserving or donate to a special auction one day. I am not sure what kind of call it is but it might be an early RNT with a Hedge barrel and African Blackwood insert. It sounded a little muddy, so I pulled the cork and reed, cleaned the toneboard, cut a new reed and cork and it is a very fine sounding call. I will save the original cork and reed to go with the call someday.
    I will post up a picture when my camera gets replaced.

Thanks again Ray!

2. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

Caller was in the blind today well sort of !!!! California flyway brought Callers call to the blind and used it today as we call all kinds of ducks to the guns. I was surprised how much he sounded like caller when calling ducks. Thanks for reminding me of the good old days Craig when I was in the blind with Caller and we had those old greenheads locked and dropping in to the decoys. :bow:l:tu Memories I will never forget.

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Tom may have been using a Don Dennis call--
    I know he had a couple.
    Hard to tell---He often would change brands and tried to talk me out of a Bett's (even if it is an acrylic) that I will use and I might even have them put it in the box when it is time to go

wanapasaki likes this.
  4. California Flyway

As usual WU, your knowledge is vast. It looks to be a Don Dennis call.

[​IMG]

5. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Used to run with Tom during our Delta days

At one time Tom and I were going to compete in team competitions together--

we named the team
    Team Geritol :l:l:l

I have photos of us with the matching lanyards and all that after a duck hunt near Waverly somewhere around the new house

I think I still have a couple of Don Dennis calls that I bought from Tom

Miss that rascal

6. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

WuChang After having the call after Tom went to the big duck club in the sky I decided to let it go out of my collection of calls as Someone should carry on his tradition with his call and not let it just sit in a box and go to waste. California Flyway fell in Love with it so I passed it on to another duck Hunter.I hope it rings out for other hunters long after I go to hunt ducks with Tom Again!!!:tu:tu:bow I sure miss Tom,Cajun Trader and several of the old timers who are gone now!!!

7. California Flyway

Ray,

I am going to do a very light restoration of the wood finish with some Velvit Oil as I do not want the barrel to crack from drying out. It will be sound for another couple of pass downs to other hunters.

8. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Refuge Member

I think I just re read these stories for the 5th time. Everytime I still have the same reaction. It helps me while im at work to calm me down. I wish I could write half as good as Caller. One day I will try. The he captures the moment is breath taking.