Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

calling contest

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Toothshucker1, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Toothshucker1

Toothshucker1 Senior Refuge Member

Just thought I would post this info as it has been a topic of interest. I noticed in the nickel ads of all places that the Idaho state duck contest and goose stuff as well is going to be held on the 4th and 5th of October at the Nampa Sportsmans Warehouse.

2. duckhunt

duckhunt Refuge Member

Whom ever is putting this on wasn't really thinking.:clap:sp Being Idaho's opener and all. I bet a lot of guys that would have blown are going to bag it and try to go bag a limit of green heads instead. Putting a contest on this late in the game for a ticket to worlds is going to be punishing on the winners pocket book. I know that being a contest caller isn't cheap and it is expected to shovel out a little cash. Being this late in the game doesn't give this person a whole heck of a lot of time to save.;)

3. GooseBuster

GooseBuster Banned

This dude will due this to show id has nu interest in calling in id.

he took the control of the id calling over orgs who wanted this contest

id need to take over this clling back to id to control and have somone in ut to tell us what to do:mad:

if it was returned to id i will bend over to help on getting sponsors help getting to top name judges and the sponsors to suport this event

let me know:clap:clap:):sp:grvn

4. Outlaw Indian

Outlaw Indian New Member

I would love to have come down for this but I already made plans for hunting. Who would schedule a Idaho state contest on the OPENER for 2/3 of the state? There has to be a alterior motive at work here. I'm not in the calling "click" but it this usual?

John

5. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

well that is one less caller with me... have a hunt lined up for the opener... to bad... maybe next year... :sp good luck boys... hope its a great showing:tu

John not normally. Most of the sanctioned contests are held in the summer and spring. There are a few contest in Oct and Nov. but most of them are big shows such as the Masson Dixon contest or a Regional contest these are some of the last events for a guy to get his ticket if he didn't already do so at his state contest and the others are state contest in the South east so most of those guys drive to the Worlds... All of the Pacific flyway contests have been held but Idaho and It looks like MT doesn’t have a contest that Might have to change… (Banded Brothers up for another Road Trip?). I don't know of any contest being held during a Waterfowl opener but a lot of that has to do with our Flyway being opened in Oct when most of the others don't start until Nov. Also noticed that this Contest is being held with Sportsman’s Waterfowl days so that might be a big part of it... Carl might have been told when he could hold the show?

6. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

What time is the comp at? Maybe all of us from over here that are running to eastern Idaho can jet back over here after our opening morning hunts.:nutz
    I really do hope that there is a good showing though. It probably will help that Oregon's opener is a week later this year.

Not to mention that the IWA general membership meeting in Idaho Falls is on that Friday night.

7. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

Not a clue on the time... I called sportsman?s and they don't ether and I don't want to bother Carl anymore :sp if we make it back great if not no big deal at this time I would rather focus on shooting 7 ducks... and if the contest is held on Sunday that?s a No go for me I keep the Sabbath day Holy and Contest calling isn't doing that :tu

8. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Dang I was hoping to check one out since it was going to be close but we will be busy doing the real thing that weekend. :rolleyes:

9. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

As a moderator:

Stop posting personnel bashing. It will be deleted. Period.

As me:

I don't get you guys. A few weeks ago there was all kinds of complaining about not having a state contest. And now here it is and the whining switches to what a bad time to hold it. While I agree that maybe there could have been other choices the fact is there is never a time when everybody is happy. If contest calling is really that important then I don't see what the big deal is. It WOULD be your priority. And don't give me the line about its too short a notice to be able to go to Stuttgart. Anybody who is a contest caller knows that winning state means you go. You could have made tentative plans long time ago in the event that one was held for Idaho.

And for what its worth I have no idea who is putting this on and really don't care. Here it is so stop banging on it and go call.

Best of luck to those who go for it. Me ... well enough of you have heard me call before. Not a chance.:D

10. Toothshucker1

Toothshucker1 Senior Refuge Member

In all fairness several folks on this site (Jake, Adam, etc...) have asked Carl repeatedly to do this earlier and have offered to help. He has refused and put the contest on at the the lousiest possible time it could happen. A lot of people don't think it is unintentional and that he would like to see an Idaho contest stink so that he could justify holding it in Utah. If he gave a rip what Idahoans thought he would be paying attention to what people are saying on these threads. He hasn't so we are left to our own conclusions. I don't feel that sponsors and members are holy untouchables that can't be questioned about their actions that affect duckhunters in general and more specifically members of this site. If we aren't allowed to voice concerns then this really becomes nothing more than a site for hiney kissing. I understand that we shouldn't make groundless attacks on sponsors and fellow members but come on....lets have a little back bone shall we. None of us are made of glass and I've always thought duckhunters were particulary thick skinned. Jake may be right, maybe his hands were tied, but hell a little communication earlier in the summer would have been appropriate.

I don't see any bashing in the posts prior on this thread just questions about a certain fellas judgment in his timing of a calling contest. This particular event isn't something of any interest to you so I don't expect to you to share our frustration with his poor decision.