Calling Deer

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by widgeon, Dec 20, 2016.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I've been hunting deer for over 40 yrs and have tried off and on to call them since they started selling deer calls. I've never had any luck, at all, til this year!

One morning, I was in my climber and spotted a buck about 100 yds away. It wasn't a shooter, but I grunted at him with my cheapo plastic grunt call. He stopped and stayed still for a couple minutes. He started walking again and I grunted louder. He turned and walked straight to me and stood 5 feet from the tree I was in. If only he was bigger!

Next morning, I'm in a different tree not seeing a thing. 1100 in the morning, I decided to try to rattle. I rattled once, nothing. Rattled longer and louder, then about 200 yds across a clearcut, I spotted movement. A decent 7 pointer ran right over to where I was and started looking around! Again, not quite big enough, but it was pretty cool.

Anybody else have any luck calling deer?

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I've never had any luck calling or rattling-in deer. A few weeks back I was watching four bucks out in the middle of a wide opening... two 4's, and a young 7 and a little larger 8, at about 200 yds out. I grunted at them, bleated at them, 'estrus' bleated at them, just to see what they might react to, and nothing caught their attention at all.

A month or so ago I was out looking for coyotes and had an 8 pointer come to a gray fox distress call. Could have blown me over. It was too bad I only had a rimfire rifle with me, although he was a bit young anyway. Maybe I'll add my 'yote calls to my deer pack.

3. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I had a doe come to a fawn in distress call one night coyote hunting. Called in foxes etc. with the fawn in distress while deer hunting.

4. WoodieSC

Yes, I did take my largest doe ever (152 lbs) using a very 'distressed' fawn bleat call right at dark about ten years ago. I forgot that one, although I felt so bad after she came charging out to help the fawn that I vowed to never shoot the largest doe again like that. That leaves the rest without their 'tutor' on survival, etc.

I do use the fawn calls to try to call coyotes in. They get no quarter around here.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    widgeon likes this.
  5. widgeon

I've had a lot of coyotes come in to turkey calls. Never deer calls. Yet.

6. WoodieSC

Good point. I'll have to remember that.

7. widgeon

FYI - no 6 lead will kill a coyote stone dead at 25 yds!

8. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Never had any luck calling deer in Alabama although while turkey hunting I have stung a few coyotes with turkey load not sure if it ever killed them but I bet they don't come around my parts again

9. WoodieSC

They do get educated pretty quickly. I kick myself every time I've missed one with a snap shot.

10. widgeon

Went hog hunting the day after deer season closed. Decided to blow a predator call to see if a coyote might come in.

Big, wide 8 pointer walks in to see what was making all the noise. I stood up and shooed it away just for fun. Called again a few minutes later and it came back!