calling to geese question

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by jjseman, Jan 10, 2018.

1. jjseman

jjseman Senior Refuge Member

I've been looking for videos online on how to call geese. Everything I pull up is some guy demonstrating how to run a call. I know how to make a goose call sound good (so I'm told :) , but I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to calling geese in. I know how to work ducks well, but as for geese, I'm lost. Especially on field hunts, if I don't get them on a string, I'm at a loss on what to say to them. On the marsh I seem to have a little better luck and getting the geese to circle back and drop in.
    My experience in the fields usually goes this way. Start off, I'm forced to run traffic (I know, find the x) which is usually a hit-or-miss spot that gets some birds, here and there. I'm not in a Walmart parking lot- so I'm not totally out of the game. When I see a distant flock, I'll hit them with moderately loud hail honks and high/low clucks. Work the flag a bit to draw some attention. If they turn towards me, I tone it down in volume. If they commit and really start getting low, I go to the murmer and moans. Then I shoot them in their faces, if it all works out. Winning! I'm the best caller/goose hunter this side of the Mississippi. Check out my Instagram page fellas.....but usually not the case.
    The problem lies when I get the geese to head my way, and they just give me a passing glance. I never get them to give me another pass. With ducks, I can get them to work back around, but not with the geese. All I do, when I know that I've lost them, is hit them with a come back call. It never turns them. Only a couple of times have I had the come back call work, and oddly enough, those were the times when we shot into them and I brought the flock back (while fumbling to reload with one hand in a buttoned-up layout blind). Is that normal for geese in fields to only give you one look? I bought and studied the Bad Grammar dvd series by Scott Threinen (last name?). He shows the birds turning and coming back around, but he's on the x usually. I tried to emulate the different calls he uses without success. Any advice on how you guys work geese would be great. Like Tim Grounds said "anyone can kill geese while sitting on goose s--t".

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to goose hunting,if possible you have enough birds giving you looks you can try different things.I see lots of guys lose birds when they start getting close they stop calliing.We at least give them some murders and try that all the way in.Soft clicks can also bring them in close.We hunt lessers a lot and they seem to like a lot of noise, 2 or 3 guys calling seems to work better than just 1guy.
    Remember to listen to the birds sometimes you can imitate what they are doing.Also focus on what call you are calling and make a mental note of what does work and keep it in your arsenal.If something isnt working don't use it.
    Also make sure your hide is As good as it can be,just because you are in a layout it didn't mean they can't pick you out.
    Watch a few videos but remember some of those are designed to sell calls.

BirdJ and jjseman like this.
  3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I don't hunt the x, but calling any animal, including people, is about finding out what they want to hear, and giving it to them. Run some notes at the geese, pay attention to them while doing so, when you turn a head, lock wings, move birds, and find what they want, continue it, until they're dead. I've had days where what they want is screaming pleading notes, one little diversion from those notes and they left, you wouldn't believe that geese would finish to such aggressive high pitched calling, but they did, non-stop, from start to finish.

So just pay attention, and give them what they want to hear, there really aren't magic sequences that work all the time, especially when you're not hunting x fields or water, traffic/migrators, they're more finicky.

4. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Hide better?

Call louder on windy days. Also, each day depending on weather your call might not travel the same as the previous day. Meaning, some days I can hear my buddy call from 3/4 mile away, other days I can only hear him from a hundred yards or less.

Most of my hunting is hunting traffic over big water. If the geese are flying over towards their roost, I’ll call aggressively, then while reading the birds and if it appears they like it, I’ll continue aggressively until they are committed then I’ll just use clucks or single honks until the geese are in the decoys.

Most times I’ll just use loud single honks. Even when field hunting the X. If the geese are flying towards the Decoys I use honks but if they swing or change their wing beat I will call aggressively with fast clucks and honks. I will use high pitch come back calls if the geese are going to land on the other side of the field or if they circled a few times and it looks like they are heading somewhere else.

If the birds are committed from a far, sometimes from over a mile, I will make one note at about 100 yards and or if they start to swing, That one honk will get them to commit.

Personally I don’t make any mones or murmur calls. If my wife is with, I will make her moan with a Big River flute.

bullpinnie and jjseman like this.
  5. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Understand where your birds are coming from and going to... If we re hunting geese in a field at first light those birds are very talkative and aggressive on food, compared to a loaf set up later in the day where those birds are coming back to get content. I have found that multiple callers will increase your chances most often unless you are a caller that can sound like 6dz or so geese feeding. Get your group involved, they dont have to be pros but keep the ground noise up.

Keep in mind some days the best call is no call. No doubt later in the season less is more including the flag.

As already mentioned, its the game that keeps us all coming back to master. If there was a clear cut answer the game may not be so fun.

jjseman likes this.
  6. aecrowell

aecrowell Senior Refuge Member

Best advice I can give you is watch the birds. Learn to read their body language. When calling to a single goose take notice. If he locks up and turns your way keep giving it to him.

When calling to a flock you may only pull a couple birds. Watch'em if they lock up pure it on, if they keep pumping save your breath and wait for the next bunch.

HONKSRWORKN and jjseman like this.
  7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

well,... what everyone has replied.

I hunt mostly traffic, The field Im hunting tomorrow the early birds if any I call soft and quiet and use a flag. Later the larger flights if they are talkingI really pour it on.
    Watch for any change in the flight and wing beat,
    If they are coming in I keep the same tempo. cadence then slow it down.
    Butts at me Ill speed it up.
    Late season I tend to quiet and slow down if I think its birds that have been on the same field as me a few times in the previous week.
    I have also sat in a pit and had flock after flock under 120 yards and many some of the geese might turn their heads an look, but they keep going that just what can happen.
    At least you recognize you need to read the birds . I hunted with a young fellow last year. To my ear he was as good as many local state goose calling competitors, but he could not read birds at all.
    A couple other young guys I think they sound better than me and can read birds pretty good,... Hmm seems like when we hunt together we kill easy, close , well decoying birds:scratch
    Of course I was one of those guys years ago that blew geese right off the field too.
    Over all if the birds are close slow and soft.
    a fellow that I use to hunt with, we didnt know it at the time. excellent caller, could read birds way better than most. His call was was way too loud. It didnt seem like it laying out near him but it was almost painful at 300 yards

BirdJ likes this.
  8. n c rod

n c rod Refuge Member

9. n c rod

n c rod Refuge Member

First off, relax, this is not an exact science. If you are not sure of yourself and confident in your calling guess who will figure this out first. Good calling comes from experience, and experience comes from poor calling! Watch the birds reaction and let them guide your calling.Don't be afraid to call loud, silly loud at times. If they don't hear you what's the point in calling? I have NEVER had any luck calling silent, unwavering geese. If they do not want to be where you are, good luck!

10. 50ducksnarow

50ducksnarow New Member

1st Practice with that call as much as you can clucks and moans and a flag kill geese trains spit notes triple clucks are for the Goose hunting superstars 2nd I'm a meat hunter I find geese obtain rights to hunt them set out my spread and the geese come high pitch is the ticket double clucks will get them most of the time when they turn and head towards you slow your clucks down moan cluck moan shoot.

BirdJ likes this.