calling to geese question

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by jjseman, Jan 10, 2018.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Not afraid to call loud or silly loud at times with Huch! Big birds, not so much!!!!

2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

First of all, Scott Threinen barely ever hunts the X...EVER. He almost exclusively hunts traffic in one of the most highly pressured areas in the country. I should know, considering I hunt all the same fields he does and sometimes hunt adjacent fields to him. You also have to realize that Scott hunts with a minimum of three good callers every time he goes out and usually 4-5. He's a world champ and some of the guys he hunts with are state calling champs. You're never going to get that kind of reaction with just one caller.

There's two misconceptions in calling that even really good callers make ALL THE TIME!

1. When the birds are working or committed start slowing down and making allot of ground noise. I believe the ga-ga-ga call, whatever the actual name of it is extremely overused and not really effective. You hear everyone use it. Also, if you listen to live geese they usually get louder when a flock circles and comes into land. I found it much more effective to get louder and more aggressive as they get closer on some days. Don't automatically do the same thing every day. If you slow down and they lose interest get faster and more aggressive until they hit the ground. Usually whatever note they like you can just keep doing until they commit. You just got to read the birds.

2. Stop calling when the birds are straight overhead. I have some really good friends that swear by this because they think the birds will pin point the sound and bust us. I feel like they lose interest allot of times if the calling stops. If you're hidden well enough it shouldn't matter.

Like the previous poster said don't be afraid to be loud or silly at times. One of my most effective notes is called the "European siren". Allot of guys hate it because it's not realistic (and I've found out that allot of those guys can't blow it). It works wonders on making allot of noise and pulling down migrators. It can also call back geese that are leaving your spread. I'll even blow it until the geese are touching the ground. It's not realistic, but it's loud and aggressive and birds respond to it.

BirdJ likes this.
  3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I think you can call most any kind of goose with single clucks (Honker, spec, snow, cackler) if you can identify and communicate with a single goose. (greet to them. when they cluck, you cluck back). probably at least half of the Canadas that I shoot I call this way. (Sometimes I'll throw the kitchen sink at them if they don't respond). I throw in some clucks and moans, and my finish call is a backwards double cluck,.....then i'll draw it out a little as a comeback call, but it isn't like what most guys think of as a comeback call.

go to the park and listen to sitting geese calling at flying geese, and take note of those sounds and sequences.

4. northern

northern Elite Refuge Member

I do what they are doing. If there coming in loud I get loud. If they are coming in with only a chirp that is what they get. I getloud and excoted to get they to come back. seems to work good.

BirdJ likes this.