Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Calls from the "PIT"

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Jacob Hyer, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

Well I got home yesterday and Found a Sign sitting on my self in front of my new call making shop... it Reads "Daddy's Goose Pit"... I was going to build my work bench in my little 100 square foot shop out back, but after thinking about how hot it is in the summer I thought that my Basement that we don't use would be better and its nice and cool in the summer... I was going to call my shack out back the Honker House but after moving it to the basement I couldn’t think of a name...

But My wife and Kids did... "The Goose Pit" it Perfect I'm underground and you can hear a ton of clucks and honks coming from it...!

[​IMG]

After Reading the Duck Call making Bible and a few Pine Calls I have switched gear to harder woods... so far I have turned this African Black wood barrel with a hint of Sap wood running down the side...

[​IMG]

Now that I got the barrel turned; I wanted to turn some stoppers out of other cheaper woods before I made the final insert out of the Blk wood... I just wanted to make sure that I could find a style and sound I liked before I turned the matching sap wood insert... it would have been hard to match up the woods for the final call..

So here is one of my inserts out of Red Heart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jacob Hyer

[​IMG]

Now after dreaming all night about turning calls I have a different Idea on the shape for this barrel and I will be taking some length off of the top so that will change the sound a bit...

But I do have a perfect Blank for that Red Heart Insert, so I will turn a barrel that fits the insert style better... this weekend...
    [​IMG]

now here is a video clip of the sound from that call... its not the best sounding clip but keep in mind its was taken in a small room at 11pm last night :l

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pinman

Pinman Elite Refuge Member

Shop name rocks :tu... 11:00 pm or AM, I think the call sounded great! Good job.. :tu :tu

4. Jacob Hyer

thanks D it was 11pm last night... made it a hard morning when I had to get up at 4 am...:cry but I didn't know how the roads would be :eek:

jake

5. Wingnutty

Wingnutty Elite Refuge Member

Awesome dude! Let me know when you get up and running so I can put in an order:D Maybe make the IWA custom call sometime in the future:cool:

Gotta be a good hobby to get into.

I can't wait till I'm permanently situated after a couple more moves. I'm gonna get me a nice wood shop and build log furniture and custom make some cool shelving, glass cases, coffee tables, ect to hold mounts:tu Unfortunately, it might be 5-6 years till I get situated in a permanent location:cry

6. Jacob Hyer

some day, need to prefect the art 1st... I'm waiting on some guts to build goose calls also... as far as the IWA call I would love to in the future... but I will donate a call to the Org for there membership drive for sure...!

7. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

That's awesome Jake.

Nice looking call too.:tu

8. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

Well since I know how you feel about wood calls and you know how I feel about wood calls, how about your first shipment, of your first call, is down the road to my front door. Just name your price.:tu

I might have to pick up that book and turn a few calls myself since I have a full machine shop at work.

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior Refuge Member

Cool man!!:tu The "goose pit" is great.

10. Jacob Hyer

your call is coming grass hopper... It just not going to be my 1st call... that one will be on the call rack for life... but that stablized red and purple blank and that red hear insert could be in your hands... I need a few pro-staffers ;) :nutz :l