Calls that stick

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by craig wilson, Dec 18, 2017.

1. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

I have 2 calls that sound great preform well in my shop.
    The minute I start using them in the marsh they stick. The moisture under the reed is the cause
    Suggestions?

2. Ham615

Ham615 New Member

I have always had the same problems with sticking. It is the way I call and I'm too old to change. I did alter my style a few years ago to use less throat inflection, but the saliva was still present. I researched calls that guaranteed not to stick, read a lot of threads on here and ended up switching to a JJ Lares Hybrid. It was the best thing I have ever done. I also carry a Buck Garner Spitfire, spit tech, I like them too.

3. jjseman

jjseman Senior Refuge Member

Lares are great, ducklander are great, both have slotted tone boards that seem to work well. Zink has a good reputation for not sticking. Calls that will most likely stick, rnt and echo- but I think they sound awesome, which is the only reason why I still run them. I will just have one of the aforementioned brands on the lanyard with them.

4. laughing mallard

laughing mallard Elite Refuge Member

Life is too short to hunt calls that stick.

5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I’ve used Rain-X for several years. It comes in a small bottle, just a drop or two between reed and sound board and wa la no more sticking reeds.

6. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Stump's calls non-sticking mods work pretty good - have found that sticking seems to happen even easier when it gets really cold here, haven't had an issues with either my CWF or Pothole in the cold temps I have hunted in.

7. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Gonna have to try that lil trick myself, thanks.

8. jellotree

jellotree Refuge Member

Once the calls get cool, the internals start to collect condensation from your breath quicker than when inside where its warm. Plus whatever the else happens to the reed when it gets cold. Either way, I try to keep my calls in my front waders pocket with a hand warmer. Seems to help a lot.

I use RM calls and as said, whatever Stump does to the calls with those new mods seems to make a huge difference.

9. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Refuge Member

It is hard to stick a Toxic.

There is some great advice in this thread for sure, the big thing is to keep the donuts and copenhagen out of the call. :l

10. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

And beware regular "leaded" Mountain Dew....... ;)

volsquackhead likes this.