Came Back With a Bang (big game pics)

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by akshootnscoot, Oct 5, 2008.

1. akshootnscoot

akshootnscoot Senior Refuge Member

I just came back up to the 907 after graduation. I didn't get to do much big game hunting the past 5 years, so my parents gave me the best graddy present a hunter could ever ask for. Dad and I took off to the Brooks Range after sheep on Sept 3rd. After hiking 70 miles and not seeing a legal ram, one shot took this guy down at 5 pm on the last day of the hunt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did see some pretty cool things up there. This guy was at 15 yards, and not too happy to see us

[​IMG]

If any of you know the area that we at, can you PM me with any info on this?

[​IMG]

We ended up getting snowed on the last night, and the pilot had to fight a thick fog bank in to pick us up on time. Luckily he was good at what he did and got us out of there, because we had to head to Kotzebue for moose and caribou

2. akshootnscoot

akshootnscoot Senior Refuge Member

We flew into Kotz on the 12th, and were able to get out into the field that same day. We spent the next day chasing grayling and arctic char. After a good night's sleep we decided it was time to start chasing some caribou. We came across this guy while glassing from a ridge behind camp and were able to get ahead of him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spiked out the next day for moose. Dad was able to call one right onto the airstrip the evening after we flew out. His taped out around 59" with 4x3 brow palms. We were weathered in at spike camp until the day before the season ended. While flying back to base, we saw a nice bull and decided to chase him in the morning rather than spiking out elsewhere. We awoke to more fog and rain, but it was the last day of the season and nothing was keeping us from that moose. After glassing and calling until 3:30, we went back to base for lunch. On our way back for one last push, the bull ran by us, chasing a cow off. We were able to call the cow back to us, with the bull following her. 2 shots with the moose on the run and we had a couple full freezers for the winter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He taped out at 65"

3. Blindman

Blindman Elite Refuge Member

I would say that you've been a lucky young man and I mean "fortunate," not that you didn't earn your success. Congratulations!

4. bbforducks

bbforducks Elite Refuge Member

What ever that thing is, looks like it came from the sky!

5. steelheader

steelheader Elite Refuge Member

Awesome. Those are some sweet pics. Congrats on all your hunts.

6. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

That "object" looks like maybe the remnants of a test-fired missile of some kind. There are, after all, a couple of AF bases up there.

Man, you accomplished more in one trip to the greatest state in the union than I did in 6 freaking years. Congrats on what had to be an incredible experience.:tu:tu:tu

7. AWS1

AWS1 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for posting the awesome pics
    Gary

8. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

Awesome. I am jealous! Wish I had hunted more when I lived up there but instead chose to fish and chase women.

9. fowldreams

fowldreams Elite Refuge Member

Those are some excellent animals. Congrats on your success..:tu

10. streamer1st

streamer1st New Member

About the rocket

It is probably from Poker Flats near Fairbanks. They are used for research on atmospheric stuff (I am no expert but my friends are part of this stuff). They launch them north because there are less people and hence less chance it will fall on someone. They can only find about 50% of their rockets. If you contact them, they will go pick it up (wherever it may be).