Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Camo for deer and waterfowl

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Mtns2marsh, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Mtns2marsh

Mtns2marsh New Member

was wondering what everyone thinks about a ONE camo does it all pattern. Understandably one won’t be “perfect” for every situation but who knows. What works for you might work for other people. Also does anyone use First Lite gear for the wetlands? How well does the pattern blend?

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't matter what color of camo,being still works best.

3. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

Camouflage material may work well for deer but IMHO camouflage material is good as a base with natural vegetation on top of on the blind or on a hunter inside of a natural covered blind for waterfowl hunting .

;) LD :yes

OldVA Rebel and Mtns2marsh like this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

We added a pop up roof to all the blinds. Leaves a slot in front and an overhang,and slot left and right to watch the birds.One layer of burlap on all 4 sides lets you look out but with the roof, we are in the dark and they cant see in. Doesnt matter what camo you wear or if you wear camo at all, unless you are caught out of the blind messing with decoys or picking up birds with your shotgun always in hand, and you have to lie down. I think shadowgrass is best though, cut cornfields or sy fields. Just bought a shadowgrass Redneck Blind from Rogers and am adding a small roof to it. Dark burlap with camo plastic tarp material for rain barrier underneath the burlap. Black plastic A clamps, sprayed with extra brown and green to hold vegatation.

5. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Tf - By "pop up roof", are you talking about a roof that you throw back when standing up to shoot?

6. Tailfeathers

It is a PVC frame ( with 2 pvc cross ribs) with a rain barrier ( camo blue tarp type material from Harbor Freight) with a layer of camo burlap on top of that. Wire tied to the frame. ( I considered using clear thick plastic underneath so you can look up and watch the birds above.) I sit the roof on the top of the conduit blind frame that is wrapped in camo burlap and is free standing. I take 3 thin bungee loop bungees with the ball on it (HF) and wrap the frame pipe in the back to the round metal conduit pipe of the blind. This makes the hinges.Any bungee or small rope in a square knot will do also. This roof can now be throw open from inside but I go further than that cause I found as I was throwing, my buddies were already in shooting position and I was just beginning in those critical split second or two. So, . I take two lengths of long bungee cord, attach them 1/4 from the left and the other 1/4 from the right, from the corners on the front edge of the roof that faces the fieldand decoys. I have someone hold the roof down and test it while I am in the back of the blind, positioning a stake in the ground with the thick bungees attached. We stretch the bungees and try a few positions until with minimal shove up, the roof wants to pop. When it is down and flat or almost flat she sits but after a threshold of rise, she lets go and wa la, she’s flying open just above and then behind our nogginns. At the sweet spot is found ( oooo i love this talk) , Then I drive the stake in. When inside we have a stick with a V that holds the roof open about 6 inches so we can look out of the slot. When the birds come we all have our shotguns ready and I shove the barrel of mine into the tight roof material and the roof pops up and we stand up. The big roof opening surprises the heck out of the birds and we blast away. Then watch to see if a few will circle, two of us grab the open roof and close it and get ready for some stupid returners if they come. For transporting, The roof panel folds as it’s frame, in the middle length wise, plugs into itself with a pvc fitting that I ground wider and sanded the pipe and female fitting so it fits together and apart easy in the dark. The tight material holds it together in use. This folding capability is necessary for me to fit it into my truck’s cap,so it can close and lock. Oh, one more thing. I stake the front of the blind conduit into the ground with steel rebar cut at an angle to make a point and painted red so it isnt lost in the field ( rust brown) . Without the blind anchored with the rebar stakes, the pressure on the roof from the bungee will pull the front of the blind up. The roof works so well, We dont consider hunting any blind without a full roof now. I added plastic A clamps, wire tied to the roof frame outside to crimp local vegatation, corn stalks etc. on the roof. Also, the A clamps we use for the side camo cloth on the conduit frame, we double up and crimp vegatation there too. The birds have been shot at bigtime and this full concealment is successful....when the birds show up. Lately we can get them to circle a couple of times and dont wait any more for that closer in flight. We blast them when they are in range. Closer flight and they say no way and dont do that last circle but say see yas! Andkeep on going....And we blew it.
    Sorry this is so long, but lots of descriptions involved. Consider making a pop up roof.

7. Tailfeathers

Oh, uhhh heres the short answer: Yup. :joker

8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

just checked out the rogers redneck blind. Looks decent for the price but wished it came in 8' or 10'. at 6' I wouldn't want to hunt more than 2 guys and a dog. three would be tight but could be done. we have a bunch of 8' home made A frames and personally I don't like hunting more than 3 people in the 8 footers with a dog.

9. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Best camo is called sit your a$% still. I think Bill Jerdan wore it in Mega Buckmallards 14

waterpig, creedsduckman and markd like this.
  10. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Tf - Thanks for the details.