Camo gun or not

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by renoduckman, Jul 1, 2017.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Worn camo easily looks "long in the tooth" whereas a worn black/wood shotgun with battle scars speaks to epic hunts.

ronaldo likes this.
  2. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

The only reason I see not to buy is the additional cost. If money is no object then go for it. Camo does not hurt, it just costs

3. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

My camo guns take much less effort to keep looking good than my "regular" guns. In the waterfowl environment the camo finish really helps keep mud and water off the gun in the first place.

But the whole discussion is silly. If you don't think a camo finish offers you any advantage for the extra cost then don't buy one.
    If you think the camo finish does offer value for the extra cost then buy one.
    But to knock someone who is in the other camp than you are in is just stupid. We have way bigger differences to deal with than our gun finish!

ronaldo likes this.
  4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

:l

7. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Again this is sales hype from a mfg. to justify spending extra $$$. Let me be clear up front that I am not being critical of anyone's choice of buying a camo gun. I think the person spending the money should buy whatever they like. But what I do question is the various rationalizations used to justify spending the extra bucks.
    1. camo less likely to spook birds: I would be willing to bet almost any amount that if you leaned a black gun against a tree that it would not spook 1 single bird or if you laid a black gun on the ground in a field that it would spook a bird, it would just look like a black stick. Now you start waving a gun around and they will both spook birds. I hunt geese in the middle of green winter wheat but I don't have a green winter wheat camoed gun and I still kill plenty of birds.
    2. camo coating protects better: If you get either muddy or wet the same rag will wipe off both equally. My old 'black' SBE1 spent the night in 14' of water one time and it cleaned right up and 20yrs later it is still killin birds.
    My point is that gun mfg have to keep coming up with all kinds of new bells and whistles to keep up new gun sales. But those bells and whistles don't always justify the extra cost. And we keep fallin for it.
    Hey, I am glad all of my buddies shoot camo guns, I never have to worry which gun is mine.

ronaldo and Billy Bob like this.
  8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have not read through all 9 pages of a camouflage shotgun…

I do believe there are some advantages to a camouflage gun. Hunting the tules last year, while out retrieving a bird, I could see my father’s black gun distinctly while he was sitting in the tules. My own gun (which was spray painted) was much more difficult to spot from a distance.

My thoughts are either go with Cerakote or spray paint.

Most dipping coats flake, and furthermore they are shiny.

Spray paint is easy and cheap to put on and fix up, and there is no glare; and it is easily removed with acetone. Cerakote is also glare-free, and from what I have seen is the most durable permanent option out there.

JP likes this.
  9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Have handled several dura-touch coated shotguns where the stock/forearm was tacky to the point of almost being like the business side of duct tape. Probably had come into contact with solvents or other chemicals in the past. Kind of an oxymoron where something touted as durable and tough has to be babied in such a fashion.

Billy Bob likes this.
  10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, I'm not one to clean my guns religiously. Before, mid and end of season. If my guns have to be wiped down and cleaned religiously than I don't want them.

Camo is good in that situation. Screw having to wipe your gun down after a hunt. Mine will sit in its case in my truck for days at times in between hunts. I take her out and there's no rust or anything. She's ready to roll. If I'm spending over a grand on a waterfowl gun she better be able to handle that.