Can a person RESTLE coat these?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Ringbill, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The problem-------- Old plastic decoys with paint that doesn't adhere well
    Can a person take these old decoys and wash them up, then RESTLE coat them?
    If that would adhere OK with the glue, then paint them up again.
    Restle coating retains the paint much better than a lot of plastics do.
    Curious about if this would be a possibility.

Ringbill

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Good thread!

I would say try a sample decoy or 2. I have thought of doing it to some old carrlylite goldeneyes that I can't get paint to adhere to with anything else I have tried. Not even wiping down with acetone and using plastic primer has worked. I will be watching thas thread closely.

Ringbill likes this.
  3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Just tryed one myself . Found an old basspro decoy washed up on marsh and decided to try restle coating it. It was a new enough style to have had a flocked head but was badly faded on paint and flocking. Cleaned off loose paint and washed decoy completely to get salt off. Did 2 coats of tite bond 2 with corn cob media that was originally used on restle decoys. Covered entire decoy includeing head. primed with kilz and painted with berr exterior paints as per Steve Sanford tutorial. Came out tough as nails and except for the poor decoy posture it originally had looks pretty good. Painted it as a blk. duck hen but originally it was a mallard drake. Also did a flat bottom herters 72 I found at same time. Coated head on that one as well . First time I,ve restle coated heads but it works great.

Ringbill likes this.
  4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I guess I don't get the point of restle coating plastic decoys. I thought the whole point of restle coating was to add durability to foam decoys. I have never had any problems with paint sticking to any plastic decoys with good prep and good primer. I use a lot of oil primer and oil paints so maybe that's why i'm getting better results.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You must not have tried to paint carrylites. :l

No matter how much prep work is done nothing bonds well. I have tried several different primers and paints, both oil and latex, all with similar results. I'm running out of options so this was just a thought but I have my doubts about the tite bond staying bonded to the plastic. I actually had the best luck with the cheap Walmart craft paint and letting it cure in the summer heat for a few weeks. Desperation causes a guy to try many things. :l

Ringbill likes this.
  6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I agree with Billy Bob-------Some of these decoys are next to impossible to get the paint to adhere to. I've
    been using Parker's Paints ---a high quality oil decoy paint---for decades. Matters not.
    Our point is to find a way to keep paint adhered to the decoy, so if doing a restle coating will adhere and
    stick well, we have the problem solved ! THen we paint it up !!
    I've just started trying this Restle coating procedure and am pleasantly surprised at how easy and
    non--messy it really is to do. This is where I came up with the idea. Hopefully the glue will stick better than
    just the paint?

RIngbill

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

If you are leaving the decoys out all season this might work...

Down on Reelfoot lake, it is illegal to use 2 liter bottles as filler decoys... I think the issue was that no one cared enough about them to hunt down the broken cord strays or just left them at the end of the season...

The alternative is AC refrigerant cans.... They are puke green but several guys dip them in driveway or roofing tar to coat them a deep black.... That might work on the Carrylights?

8. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

After you scrub and scrape try going over the decoy lightly with a torch.