Decoy Forum Sponsors

Can a person RESTLE coat these?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Ringbill, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Step #1: Sand blast the decoy
    Step#2: Apply a bonding primer

If you can't get paint to stick after that then chuck the decoy and buy something new.

2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

This flimsy sided Carrylite really firmed up when I gave it the restle coating and the whole decoy is a bit heavier and
    feels more solid. I find it hard not to salvage any decoy ! Time will tell.

RIngbill

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I just did the squeeze and scratch test on those old mallards I hit with the Rustoleum ultra color paint and primer 2 weeks ago. I pushed deep dents into the flexible sides in several areas repeatedly with no damage whatsoever. The top coated decoy did just as well. Impressive is the only word I can think of. Paint remained flexible so there was no cracking at all and no paint flaked off. The scratch test was equally as good, digging at the paint with a thumbnail several times in the same place only produced a minor scratch. This was all with no prep other than wiping down the decoy with a wet cloth and letting it dry. I will be doing 2 dozen more to beat on this season to see if they are as durable as they appear to be. Things look good enough so far that this may be my go to solution in the future.

4. Billy Bob

0831181734.jpg 0831181735.jpg

5. phutch30

phutch30 New Member

I just did up 3 doz divers using rustoleums 2x primer. I think using a high quality primer that will etch into plastic is the key. It seemed to work great. I couldnt scratch it off with a finger nail or flex it off so I sealed it with flat clear coat.
    We will see.

IMAG0224-20180925-125542483.jpg

Billy Bob likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

They look good. :tu Same stuff I used except I screwed up and got a couple cans that were satin so they shined. No matter because I wanted to re coat with better colors anyway. Really looking forward to the end of the season evaluations.

7. phutch30

phutch30 New Member

Even with the flat they will still have a touch of shine. Soon as they go in the water though it goes away with the flat/matte