Can someone help me with turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by GUNNERX2, Sep 24, 2016.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

About 10-12 years ago, I started having turkeys show up in my yard usually around the first week of June. Several hens would bring their young into the yard and chase bugs. They roost in the tall oaks and hickorys in the woods next to the yard. Roughly 8 years ago I started noticing a bearded hen in the bunch and each year there is always one, never more. I'm guessing it is not the same one as I don't think they reach the ripe old age of 8. Maybe passing along flawed genes? I've seen, in the past, hens bowing up like a longbeard but never the bearded hen. This morning I watched the flock fly down form the roost, about 20 birds, and one of the hens bowed up, started strutting and let out one extremely pitiful attempt at gobbling, not the bearded hen. Has anyone ever experience this kind of behavior?

2. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Sure it's a hen and not a Jake?

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Interesting, as when I had bearded hens with poults in my yard, usually there would be 3 to 4 young hens about 1/2 to 3/4 grown, that would have 4" beards already!!
    I agree on maybe the young jake, as I've had one sound the same way, and all I thought was, "he needs to be gotten out of the gene pool" :l
    I have had hens bow up, many time also ;)

4. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Old hen mallard

5. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Actually from what I know, occasionally toms will gobble and strut this time of based on the length of daylight. I'd guess she is just a particularly dominate hen doing the same thing.

Outside of that if anyone could ever figure out a rhyme or reason as to what and why turkeys do what they do, you'd have a great mystery solved.

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Turkeys can make it to nine or ten years of age occasionally. There is a guy out here who posts on here once in a while and has taken or been on hunts where birds banded 8 and 9 years prior that were banded as adults were harvested so could be the same gal.

I've seen huns puff up, strut and get after it a couple times before, not that uncommon, and I've seen one 'gobble' while doing so.

Good show you have been privy to.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have certainly seen hens strut, and in fact one came into me this year struttin' and cuttin' like crazy. But I have never heard of or seen a hen gobble. I suppose it should not surprise me, as toms make all the same sounds hens do, so I suppose it should work the other way around...

As far as having the same bearded hen around for so long, I agree that a turkey can live for a bit, and it is not out of the realm of possibility that this is an old hen... But, it is my understanding that a bearded hen is more likely to produce offspring as bearded hens, as it is a genetic trait.

8. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Hens will strut and make weird noises.

These toms and five other, were strutting, pecking at each other and sounded like a bunch of old hens yelping and clucking at each other before I shot them this week. Farmer was mad because I only shot 4.

image.jpeg

ronaldo likes this.
  9. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

Nice birds...and guns. You like the Vinci?

10. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

^Four in a day? Wow!
    It's not unusual for hens to strut. It's a sign of dominance. I've seen a video of a strutting hen trying to gobble. I don't think that is common at all.