Can someone help me with turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by GUNNERX2, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

SB2Mag, I'm sure there can be a logical explanation, but I checked Wisconsin DNR and found this:
    What is the bag limit?
    For the spring season, it is one bearded or male turkey per tag issued. For the fall season, it is one turkey of any age or sex per tag issued.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Positive it was a hen and not a jake.

3. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

Per tag issued being the key words in fall.

4. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I like it!

This gun is rusty. The blueing has worn. The stock has faded and is starting to shine. This gun has had 1/4" of ice on it and it still functioned. I've had 6" pieces of straw in it and it still functioned. Even when full of seaweed it still functions. But once I hunted a very dusty cornfield with the Vinci, then it rained and soon after I hunted a river. There wasn't much mud and dirt in the gun but it was like cement and the gun didn't function. Even though it was very easy to tear down the Vinci and clean it in the field, I bought the super nova for goose hunting muddy fields.

As far as recoil, I shoot 3.5" Remington Hypersonics in the Vinci for goose hunting and duck hunting. The Vinci tames the recoil.

For these turkeys, I used Remington 3.5" Hevi-shot and was able to get four with three shots thanks to the fast cycling and low recoil of the Vinci.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

After the fall Turkey permit draw, a hunter can buy one Turkey permit per day until the permits are gone. There are about 30,000 permits left for this fall.

Last year I bought eight permits for zone 2 and used them all. This year I bought ten. Most Wisconsin people will spend more money on beer during a Packer game then what I've spent this year on Turkey permits.

As far as bag/take, it's one Turkey per permit. Not per day. And each Turkey needs to be registered. The overall fall Turkey success rate is only seven percent in the State. The law changed this year in that you can now harvest a Turkey during the gun deer season in an attempt to increase harvest and provide more hunter opportunity.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    ronaldo likes this.
  6. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for that info. I'm a bit jealous...:tu

ronaldo likes this.
  7. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

I have seen hens strut many times. Actually I think it is usually a dominance action with a strange bird going into a dominant hen's space. Have had them strut around hen decoy as well as jake decoys and chest bump them just like a gobbler would bump a strutting decoy. Also heard a hen "try" to gobble, or at least imitate a gobble sound but since the hens don't have the pulmonary membrane for air that gobblers utilize for the gobble call it will have it would be a real stretch for a hen to actually gobble.

Tennessee went in to a wholesale hen turkey permit mode a few decades ago when the biologists thought hen killing would have no impact on the states then bulging turkey population. Hen permits ready available for about all counties in the fall. Turned out to be huge management mistake and several former high turkey density counties now have serious lack of all turkeys. Now in Tennessee hen seasons are substantially restricted in the fall from the wide open seasons of years past. Hope wisconsin doesn't drift to far over the line in under valuing the importance of the hen population to the continued maintenance of the overall flock.

Maybe when the wolves finally remove the last deer and bear hound up there the hens will be needed to maintain the wolf flock!!! JOKE ( I hope )

8. hawglips

hawglips Senior Refuge Member

Called a large group of hens in this past spring and kept them nearby (in an attempt to lure a tom in) for over 15 minutes. One of the hens gobbled a couple times. That is not the first time I've seen hens gobble. Of course, it's not booming like a springtime tom gobble. But it's a gobble.