Can you kill a Yote' or Fox with a .22?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by BlueBillHunter, Feb 14, 2005.

1. BlueBillHunter

BlueBillHunter New Member

Thats my main question, but where do you shoot them, and how fast do they die with a .22?

Thanks

Curtis

2. SBEkiller

SBEkiller Senior Refuge Member

I dropped both of them with my .22, I wouldnt shoot any cheap bullet though. Spend the extra 5 bucks and get a good round meant for hunting and not plinking. The yote went about ten feet and spun around for awhile and died and the fox died instantly. A hollow point to the vitals will do it, the range is the only downfall, they gotta be close.

3. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I've killed 64 coyotes with a 22, of course 63 of them were in a trap and I was only shooting about 15-20 feet. I killed some others with a shotgun.

The one that was not in a trap is a story worth telling. I was putting out my trapline in Illinois, had a packbasket full of traps and crossed over a ridge just in time to see a coyote running through the valley below. I had a notion of where he was headed, so hurried my way up to a saddle in the ridge, but he was already there. I had my $60 Texas Ranger 22 pistol with me at the time, it was my trapline gun. It was loaded with 22 short hollow points. The coyote stopped broadside looking at me, he seemed a bit out there, but I thought I'd try a shot anyway. I held a skosh over his back and pulled the trigger. In just the matter of a split second, which kind of seemed like slow motion, I saw the coyote sit down, which puzzled me. Then I heard the "whopp", it took me a few seconds to figure it out, but I had spined the coyote. I stepped it off and it was 98 yards. It was more of a matter of the coyote getting in front of the bullet than it was my skill with a pistol. This is the coyote pictured.

I've also shot bobcat with my 22 ruger single six, but the distances are far closer, usually within a few yards. I called a 33lb bobcat to within 12 feet and shot him through the lungs with a 22 yellowjacket, he went about 80 yards.

If you shoot a coyote in the top of the head with a 22, he will drop like a stone, if you shoot him in the lungs be prepared for a tracking job.

4. dedduck

dedduck Senior Refuge Member

I shoot yotes and cats all the time with my 22 mag. As stated before they have to be close within 40yds. and use a premium bullet. I use the V-max,winchester supreme and PMC Predator... Also a head shot is best. At 40 yds. with a 22 that is no big task. Good luck with it...

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

I have shot Grey Fox with a regular .22 and it worked fine. Coyotes are pretty tough critters. Shot some in traps with a .22 and it works fine, but under normal hunting conditions it would be marginal. I have taken 3 with a .22 mag. It worked fine out to 50 maybe 60 yards. If you see one shoot it with what you have. If your going after them on purpose, you should use enough gun.

6. pyle762

pyle762 Elite Refuge Member

I would not hunt coyotes intentioally with a .22, but I have killed them with a 22, because that is what I happened to have when an opportunity presented itself. I would not have an issue shooting a grey with a .22 because a grey only weighs about 10 pounds and doesnt take much to kill one.

7. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

BlueBillHunter,
    A .22 rimfire will kill a dairy cow, if you're close enough and you have the right shot angle. However, wild game animals are not well known for giving hunters the best shot of any kind. :fp I would strongly advise against using a minimal caliber for predators of any kind. :no

Do yourself a huge favor. Take your .22 rimfire, a brick of ammo and a kid to the range and have a blast. :yes

You can never use too much rifle and there's no such thing as "overkill". ;)

If you have other caliber choices, I'd definately use something bigger. :)
    It's a bad feeling to shoot a game animal that you worked hard to get and watch it escape wounded, to not be recovered. :eek:

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive shot lots of fox with a .22. but evry one was using CCI Stinger hollowpoints.
    I wouoldnt be afraid of closer shots (>60 yards) on coyote if the hot placement is good.
    But not plinking shells

9. robb92

robb92 Senior Refuge Member

ANDREWS AFB, MD and Spokane, Washington, King Geor
    I've taken several yotes with my 22, he shots were between 50 and 70 yards, but it was the only gun I had on me at the time.

10. DuckyDave

DuckyDave Senior Refuge Member

Quote"It's a bad feeling to shoot a game animal that you worked hard to get and watch it escape wounded, to not be recovered."

What else ya gonna do wiff a mange infested wild dog, It aint like were talkin about a greenhead or anything like that :dv

BTW Im a killin em wiff my 17