Can you kill a Yote' or Fox with a .22?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by BlueBillHunter, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Dogface

Dogface Senior Refuge Member

I would be hesitant to shoot a coyote with a 22 unless I had a clear shot at a responsible range, say 25 yards. I have shot a few foxes but again it was a clear shot to the neck at short range.

Now the 22 mag is a different animal. At responsible ranges, 50 yard, it is a killer. I have a friend who shot two bears with one. He was in a tree stand both times hunting over bait and was able to put the bullet right behind the ear. This guy has killed a lot of bears and he knows what he was doing. He would not risk a shot that would wound and animal.

How is that 17 doing?

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Unless I can find a suitable tube for my Nova and better yet my H&K O/U, I am leaving the shotgun at home as I am not liking the patterns I am getting with #4 buckshot.

I am sticking with the rifle but, I had my .22/45 with a red dot on the sled yesterday and when I got home, just for grins and giggles, I put up a paper bag at 50 yards to give it a whirl (been awhile at that range and I wanted to check). Well, those of you who shoot a red dot know what a pain it is to hold still with a handgun but, I cracked off a magazine with a makeshift rest (not solid by any stretch of the imagination) and had all but one in a 6" group rocking and rolling them.

So, I am gonna be back to carrying the .22 pistol in the bandoleer holster along with the rifle and you gotta know what I am gonna have out in the brush.... :tu

3. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

lwingwatcher,

I can tell that you are missing hockey with posts like this! lol :dv :dv :dv

4. lwingwatcher

Hell yes I am missing hockey but you should know that I can keep em all on an Avs logo rocking and rolling at 50 yards too....that would be a great motivator....hehehe...

Really I prefer my Ruger 77v but when I get stuck in the brush, that 6X min doesn't make for fast target acquisition and multiple shots are often necessary to get one through...

5. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

We hunt down in the river bottoms around here and call foxes and yotes in close. You can do it with a 22 under 50yds if you shoot them in the head. a scoped gun and bullet placement is a must. We use a shotgun as back up.

-----------kevin------------

6. lwingwatcher

Let me just add that at 50yds, a .22 from a 5" bbl .22/45 will not go through and through the hind quarters.

I learned that lesson just today....

No....no....my lead wasn't all that bad, due to the brush the red dot was half way back when I got my only shot off.

7. younghunter

younghunter Elite Refuge Member

a .22 is plenty of gun if you know how to shoot it. Im deadly with my marlin out to about 75 yds. I shoot pigs with good ole remington golden bullets past 50 yds and they never even squeal. Just put it in their noggin and they are down for the count. In my opinion, do not shoot a coyote with a .22, anywhere but the head or neck. If your not confident enough to do that. Dont shoot, or buy a bigger gun.