Canada Fliers and Flapper Decoys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Nov 20, 2016.

Canada Flapper/Fliers

1. Like

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Dislike

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

What do you guys think of these decoys? I have my opinion of them from past use but just wanted your thoughts. Murph.

2. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Somedays they seem to help other days they don't so I do not dislike them although we don't use them like we use to

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I've tried several elevated "fliers" and "flappers" and found them all counterproductive. Kites were sometimes useful if crashed when the birds turn to, but that's a PIA, even given ideal weather.

Have a ground-bound flapper the jury's still out on, perhaps because I've only bothered to take it out twice in the three or four years I've owned it. Don't trust it with paid hunters also in tow.

4. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

On my second year with the Lucky duck goose flapper. I have shot geese off the back of it like yearling ducks on a spinner. But no where near every time. I don't feel it has ever cost me a bird, but it is not the cure all either. I take it almost every time we field hunt. It does draw attention away from our hiding spot, be it a layout, standing corn or a pit. Myself and both of my goose hunting partners have them. When we go, there are usually 2 of them running. We like them on the upwind side of the kill spot.

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I think years ago they were helpful.
    I might use mine when a big new Canadian birds come in,.. but they are easy enough without the added work