Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Canada Goose Floater Ideas

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by TyrelPalmer, Dec 4, 2015.

1. TyrelPalmer

TyrelPalmer Refuge Member

So I have 15 Canada Goose Floaters I've collected over the last couple years. I have 1 random Flambeau I got in a deal, I have 4 Cabelas Northern Flight Realmage, 6 Final Approach Standard Size HD Floaters and finally 4 Avian X.
    I hunt channels in the tidal flats here in Juneau, SE AK; part of the Mendenhall Wetlands State Game Refuge. My question is, with only 15 floaters how would you guys hunt them, as far as set up, etc.
    I try to hunt with my buddy as well and he has 2-3 dozen shells. We try to hunt together as often as possible to double/triple our spread size. Anyway, thanks let me know your guys idea!

2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well the easiest thing to do is pick up some silhouettes. We picked up 17 doz dive bombs and needless to say it quickly changed the over all appearance of the spread. But even a doz or two will add allot to the floaters when placed on a sandbar or mudflat like part of the flock walking up onto the shore. Nice thing they take up vary little room so transporting them ist a big job.

3. TyrelPalmer

I've thought about that. How do you set up your floaters though? Lines? Groups? Pairs? How would you place the decoys?
    something like below? With X's being dekes?

x x x x
    x x x x

4. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

15 floaters all in one pod with decoys at least 6 ft apart. Use just enough line to accomodate tidal changes with good heavy weights. if a sand bar/ mud flat is nearby set the shells as a separate group off to one side. Again a single pod with about 6 feet between decoys. You don't have enough to try to make a fancy hook or X shaped spread. If you are hunting groups of 20 or less you should be ok. Hiding, calling and, above all, location are more important than a large spread.

5. TyrelPalmer

perfect, one pod, 6 ft apart. Thanks Allstar 1! That's what I've been looking for.

6. ALLSTAR 1

7. TyrelPalmer

Not as of yet. The geese haven't been flying when I've been out. I've seen rafts of them and I've tried morning and afternoon hunts. It appears they are flying back after shooting is over. Current shooting due to daylight is 8:16-3:10ish. I've seen geese flying back towards the wetlands, but it seems to be at like 4-4:30. And in the morning we can't seem to get out and have any movement. Its really frustrating. And not nearly as many birds in the area as we had last year. Last day of season last year wasn't really set up for geese but saw close to a thousand birds or more in flocks from 20-50, this year haven't seen anything larger then about 20, and haven't seen more then about 150 geese in a day. Very slow frustrating year so far. I did take the 31st off to have one more go but all my buddies are done for the season, don't want to take a day off for the final day of season Huragh! Guess I'll have to try to limit geese solo, lol.

8. ALLSTAR 1

It can be tough when they do that just at dark movement. Usually due to warm weather. Seems like enough birds.. good luck. We are finally getting some cold but the rain has been unreal and scattered all the ducks to heck and gone.

9. TyrelPalmer

Yeah the winter has been really warm here and so I think that's the biggest reason for it.

10. TyrelPalmer

Good luck and hope you have better luck then I've been having :tu
    the ducks are scarce, the geese even more so and my last two trips I've had to rescue decoys and filled my waders with water. :(