Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Canada trip

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by semomike, Sep 28, 2009.

1. semomike

semomike Refuge Member

Looking at the long range forecast (although it hasn't been right in the past and probably wont be anywhere near right again) and getting pretty pumped. We leave the 9th of Oct. for Manitoba. The counts at Oak Hammock are rising to pretty near last years numbers while we were there, even with the warm temps up to now.

Have the mallards started to show up yet? I hope we get some temps in the low 20's while we are there in the morning. Nothing shocks the system more than when you leave Missouri and its 80 degrees and show up to hunt 24 hours lates and its in the 20's.

See you Canucks shortly!!!!!!!!!

2. hanger

hanger Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

90+views no replies.
    i know you are excited and didn't mean any harm but here's a little tip,,,,,,,,,,,

when asking for assistance from "us Canuks",,,,don't call us "you Canuks". Hahahaaaaa

I don't know nor really care about mallards so i can't help you. In this area they are sparce as per normal.

3. semomike

semomike Refuge Member

Sorry about the Canucks thing. Seriously is that a bad thing? You guys are some of the best people I have ever met in my entire life. Being that you had a hockey team named , "Canucks" didn't think it was a bad thing. Kinda like the Yankees with us!

4. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

mmmm. Ask the Arkansas boys how they like being referred to as "Yanks". (I've done it and have the PM's to prove their displeasure).

Regarding the lack of replies. The folks who live and hunt there are watching the fields and are tracking the birds. I wouldn't expect them to cut their own throats and post up on the internet the fact that the birds are hitting solid (or not). You made the plans. C'mon up and see what you get. I had a couple of my friends from back east out for a couple of hunts this week. The days we went defied the weather office and were flat calm and glassy on the water. We still got limits but they were hard fought and necessitated moves to make it work.

5. hanger

I'm just messin with ya too, i figured you didn't mean anything by it and mentioned that. I don't know about the rest but i personally am not nuts about the phrase, nor Vancouver, but i've been called worse.

sjemac is right. People aren't ready to spill their guts on the www about how good they have or hope to have for fear of being over run. It's the truth and for good reason. There's not many people out here and we like it too.

We shot 2 mallards today, ugly juvies, only color on them was their feet.
    Good luck on your trip, should do well.
    Easy on the Canuks,and another tip, don't refer to the natives as "Indians", that may not go over well.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I don't usually call them indians. I usually call them "Chris", or "Poochie", or " Baldy", in other words, their names or nicknames. They are people, just like us, just with funny last names, like "McGillivary" and "McKay" and such. Go figure.

By the way, we are getting birds, but you better be prepared to work a lot harder this year. I would say mallards are down about 90% up where I am, and I don't tell tall tales. Divers are down as well, but the weather hasn't been ducky until yesterday. Most of Sept was basking in the 70's and 80's up here, with a southerly wind being the norm. Yesterday was the first mid ''40's, and a north wind. Third week of Sept is traditionally the peak for bird numbers up here, and if that is an indication, then the numbers are waaaayyyy down.

I hope most of the birds did stay in the PPR, or it will be an awfully quiet fall and winter down south.

7. hanger

Well put.

With the birds, give me your opinion. I always called the Last week of Sept "quantity" hunts and last part of Oct "quality" meaning mature birds. But last 2 years have been later and this year as well, with the very warm weather till this past weekend. The Oak hammock counts showed similar reports the past 2 years also. I think we will see a rush of birds the next week if this weather holds. It is getting very cold and wet further north which should send some down, if they are there? Unlike last year when it was colder here than in Churchill for half the season.

Everyday now we are seeing many more new birds, but nothing like we are used to. We never really see too many mallards but the huge flocks of divers generally pile in here, nothing yet of any magnitude, but these fellas are good shots and limits are no problem. Birds decoying in flocks of 20 are fun. After yesterday (day 1) Gadwalls, 2 mallards, bluebills, redheads, canvasbacks, ringnecks, buffleheads, wigeon.
    Wind changed today to SE.

8. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

hanger, isthere a particular reason you don't get mallards in that area?

9. hanger

they stop shortly but they know there is grain fields south of us. Barley is more attractive than marsh for the migrating mallards.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

and barley when the sun goes down is even more attractive. The mallards here are night feeding, and you have to go out about 1/2 hr before sunset and be prepared to stay to sunset +30 to limit out. (sunset +30 is legal in Canada). This was the mallards coming into our field last night. about 7:40, 20 minutes before end of LST.

Sorry about the noise, it was windy as heck, and the spinners could barely work and the wings ripped off the vortex :mad: Can't complain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTH1Ra1RWFA

This was a combined barley field, one of two that are holding birds in the entire valley. First field shoot for a couple guys from the 'Fuge up from Iowa, and my son Myles.