Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Canadian residents thoughts on non-Canadian outfitters

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by mallard 15, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Drylock2

Drylock2 Refuge Member

Found this thread interesting since I enjoy freelancing in Canada and I work in the maritime transportation business. Two cents...

Our economies are interdependent. While more finished retail goods go north than south, more natural resource (I'm talking forest products, minerals, etc. not just dead ducks) comes south than north. And a lot of American branded merchandise sold in Canada never actually crosses our borders, it comes in via Vancouver from China. Did the trucker strike at the port in Vancouver negatively affect things for any of you?

As a freelancer who keeps it legal I would not have a problem with the tagging system. Limited timeframe for a hunting license either. As long as both were liberal enough to make it worth the trip I would still come to Canada to hunt with friends. However, the illegal dumba## non-res guide thing is a bigger law enforcement issue than hunting regs. I bet some good undercover work would go along way towards busting the worst offenders. Locals in the past have seemed reluctant to turn in the rouges just on suspicion of something foul, (pun intended), but this year I heard a different tone and several locals who have DU projects turned in guys they suspected of this. Don't know what came of it but the guys who give permission seem to have a good sense about those on the edge. Seems the common thread is "If it's a DU project it's as much mine as it is yours. See I have a DU membership card. I can hunt there whenever I want."

2. MD

MD Senior Refuge Member

Yikes!

This discussion makes me think of the freelancers and commercial sport fishing operations in B.C.