Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Canadian store

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by pounder, Jan 12, 2004.

1. pounder

pounder Elite Refuge Member

I'm looking for a good wholesaler, ie Cabelas, SIR type store that offers a good selection of decoys at reasonable prices. help Paying the dollar difference is a killer:mad:

2. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

Even with the exchange I found Wing Supply to be cheaper that any Canadian outfits. I think there is a place in Calgary called Russell sporting goods that come in a close second. As for selection....I have yet to find a canadian store with anything much.

3. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

One of the best Canadian stores that I have found has been WholeSale sports in Calgary (www.wholesalesports.com). They also have stores in Edmonton, Saskatoon and Lethbridge. They have a pretty good selection of mid to higher end products, good catalogue and on-line presence and the best part is that their sales people are not only knowledgable but they actually give a *&^% about customer service. As an added bonus there is no PST in AB which makes an already competitive price even better.

You had mentioned SIR. I live in Winnipeg and have been to this store many times. I can honestly say that I have never seen a bunch of more arrogant P****s anywhere when it comes to hunting and outdoor gear. Not only are they over-priced compared to every other store in the Universe, their gun counter and hunting sales people are the most ignorant, useless 9-irons I have ever seen. There is one big fat SOB there that is especially rude and lets you know how truly knowledgable he is every time he opens his chocolate chip covered lips.

I am somewhat fortunate in that it is just me and my wife at home and that allows me to spend a lot of my time (and pay check) on hunting and fishing pursuits. I don't think I have spent more than $50 in that store in the last 10 years. I usually go in to look at something that I am interested in and then order if from Wholesale Sports in Calgary.

I also buy a lot of stuff directly in the US each year. With the dollar getting stronger and stronger each month I am looking forward to doing some more shoppin there this year. Besides, rip-off artists like SIR order most of their stuff from US suppliers anyway, why would we want to pay the middle-man a mark up for what we can do ourselves?

4. B52-man

B52-man Elite Refuge Member

I bought from Wholesale Sports a couple time this year.Very good to deal with.Seems like I get a catalouge from them every month.:D

Like havenhunter,I buy most of my gear from Wing Supply.Even with exchange,you can't beat their prices.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Heathk, I travel down from the pas, and for the extra 2 hrs, I go to Grand Forks ND and get my fix at Cabelas, especially at the bargain cave. Last year they had 1 day with canadian dollar at par. Its the only way to go. Scheels sports is also there, and has great deals as well. I order lots of mail order from the states, but you have to be prepared to pay extra shipping for decoys.
    SIR is only used by me as a last resort.

Watch also for specials at Canadian Tire. I ended up getting some 42" goose decoys under $10.00 at a year end clearance. Ask the dept manager for a deal and you may get one;.

6. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

Bang Your Dead; I agree competely, from where I live in Winnipeg it is only 2 hours to get to SCheels/Cabela's. The better thing about Scheels is that you can get the ND state sales tax back, Cabelas is actually in Minnesota (East Grand Forks) and they do not rebate the sales tax to Canadians.

SIR sucks, none of my buddies shop there anymore.

7. Rockblind

Rockblind Elite Refuge Member

22 KM from Stakeblind 4000 KM from Stoneblind's Ho
    Over the years I have purchased dekes from Wing Supply like a couple of the fugers already said with the exchange it still a better deal. Plus the $ is getting better.

8. Aek29

Aek29 Senior Refuge Member

Wing Supply is nice if you are ordering from the States. Great price even with the exchange like a few others have said. I have ordered from Wholesalesports out of Calgary and also SIR. Lebaron in Montreal has some good prices as well.

On a side note I tried to order a few things from Cabela's about a month or so ago and the items came up with a shipping restriction to Canada. Items were a Motorola radio, truglo sights for a ruger 10/22 and a composite stock for the same 10/22. I asked why there was a restriction to ship to Canada and they didn't know. To make a long story short.....8 calls and 3 days later I finally recieved the answer from one of their top people in customer service. Due to 9/11 it is Company policy to not ship certain items to Canada. I really hope this doesn't become a US wide store policy in the furture. Just thought I would let you guys know.

Also on a side note I was watching "Money Wise" on Global a few nights ago and they were talking about the new store Bass Pro Shops will be opening in Ontario in 2004. Their first store outside the US. Might be a future option for us but who knows.

Aek