Can't get Jap millet

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by thatguy2, Jun 27, 2017.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

So I have been trying to get jap millet for when my pond gets dug. All the suppliers are telling me the harvest was poor last year and none is available. I see some other places but shipping is cost prohibitive. One of the dealers suggested German Millet. It's $25/50lbs. Pond may not be dug till next month. Want something to see around it and also a small 1/2 acre dove plot that is 100 yards from my big dove plot. Any suggestions? I've got buckwheat planted now but afraid it won't have time to mature if planted around the pond.

Edit: supplier just called and found some. Hoping it will have enough time to mature.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Use browntop if you can't get Japanese millet. Late season fallback would be buckwheat with only a 45 day growing season.

3. thatguy2

So they found Jap millet. $32.50/50 lbs
    I have 150 lbs on the way. One of the dealers was trying to say that I should only plant in the spring. I thought it put seeds on quickly

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

In the spring?? He obviously doesn't know much about what you're using it for. It's a 45-60 day maturation period.

5. thatguy2

The lady at the co-op told him "I am pretty sure he knows what he wants it for, sounds like he has done some research.

Want to get some of it in the ground quickly for a dove plot.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Oh, dove plot. My bad ...

I'm putting a small one in also (jap), however mine will go in either this weekend or the next. My thoughts were not to expose it too long for the other birds to ravage. Should be ready around the opener here.

7. thatguy2

Yeah part of it going for dove to supplement my buckwheat/milo/pearl millet plot.

Most of it to be planted around the edge of the pond whenever they get out here and get it built. Usually get a toad strangler or two in august and I would really like to have my pond built.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Good plan.:tu

9. thatguy2

Co-op called today. Jap millet is in. Pond builder also called today. He is ready to start. If he gets it built in the next couple weeks, when would you plant?

10. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

Some now some August. Try to time before rain if you can't irrigate- next year go w BYG.